In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1viga femeninopar masculino técnicothe rafters — las vigas del techo
- Crystalline chandeliers hung from high rafters and soft music could be heard from somewhere down a long carpeted hallway.
- Two days later, they finished the rafters, and in another two days they had a roof again.
- Instead of using large rafters to support the roof, a building tradition that is hundreds if not thousands of years old, home builders began to use roof trusses.
- We used the hints of Monterey style shown in the exposed rafters, porch posts, and white stucco walls as cues for our design.
- She followed the cat into the barn, where the light was dim and the cool air smelled of hay and things wild hanging from rafters and hiding in corners.
- Nail up a set of reference strings on the rafters that protrude the most into the attic.
- A few small oil lamps were hung from rafters in strategic spots, casting lonesome pools of illumination to steal the gloom from the darkest corners.
- The taller one spoke next, breaking the silence with his voice echoing throughout the metallic rafters high above them.
- As the rat scurries along the rafters and through the thatched roofs of 14th Century England the infected fleas would drop down off their backs onto the humans below.
- White skylight wells - set above exposed rafters - bounce and diffuse sunlight into the room below, reinforcing the open, airy feeling.
- Secure the rafters with two nails driven through each side of the rafters and into each of the double beams.
- As the rafters supporting the floor above were near this beam, which had to be removed, that portion of the second floor had to be propped by the firemen.
- I know that when you are framing a gable roof, you can use collar ties in lieu of attaching ceiling joists to the bottom of the rafters.
- To make the room feel airy they raised the ceiling to a 12-foot peak and exposed the rafters, then painted the walls and trim white.
- You need to be sure these new boards attached to the rafters all come out to exactly the same level, because you need to attach your finishing material to an even surface.
- This one looked like a room in an ancient fortress; the floor and walls were large blocks of stone, with crude heavy rafters above.
- The strands were tucked between the rafters of the roof inside the hut.
- Staple the foil to the bottom or side of the rafters, draping it from rafter to rafter.
- I sighed as I looked up into the rafters of the roof.
- In normal roof construction and roofing, plywood or waferboard sheathing panels are installed over the rafters and meet snugly at the peak of the roof.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.