In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The festival features dozens of performers and music from traditional and contemporary folk to music hall, ragtime, sea shanties, country and more besides.
- The bars and brothels provided steady work for the piano players who had developed ragtime.
- It's set in a honky-tonk hall and it's just a very colourful piece that's a great way to finish the show with a ragtime band on stage.
- The next number, ‘Coffee's Cold,’ relies on a bouncy ragtime groove with just a bit of swing.
- His drum solos brought on much applause from an audience obviously starved for the New Orleans ragtime style music.
- Although she died relatively young, Mills was an inventive influence in the worlds of both jazz and ragtime in the 1920s.
- The band members describe their musical style as ‘foot-stomping acoustic ragtime blues’, and the description is pretty spot on.
- The superimposed ragtime piano music, played by David Shephard, gives the film cohesiveness.
- This time round, Doc and the All Stars entertained the audience with a full quartet of drums, clarinet, keyboards and trumpet with some classic ragtime sounds and upbeat Dixieland.
- Live music from blues to ragtime will accompany the drinking and entrance is free to all sessions.
- Her solos are reminiscent of Wally Rose's lilting ragtime sides on the first Watters Jazzman records in 1941.
- About the street one now more often hears ragtime hummed than an old tribal song,’ she continued.
- In their dancing, in their minstrelsy and then in ragtime, black Americans were insisting on setting European-style music free by refusing to be restricted to a ground beat.
- The story of their rise to popularity as jazz music evolved from ragtime to bebop is firmly traced in Brotherhood in Rhythm.
- The instrumentals are clean and crisp, nicely showcasing Parker's mixture of chamber music and ragtime.
- Not only is Keith a great pianist, he is considered one of the world's leading experts on classical jazz and ragtime music.
- Much of the wonderful music is ragtime, which took America by storm in the early years of the twentieth Century.
- Scott Joplin is regarded as the pre-eminent composer of ragtime compositions.
- A tinny piano plays a bouncy ragtime tune over faded sepia photos, unwittingly romanticizing an era now long past.
- We peered inside the window, and to my surprise, I saw my mother and father dancing to old ragtime music.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.