In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(applause/welcome) calurosísimo(expression) embelesado(expression) extasiado
- Peter then passed the paper backstage before carrying on with the rest of his act, which was greeted with rapturous applause.
- This 38th minute goal sent the Carlow supporters into rapturous applause and a false hope dawned.
- Camden loved it, and enthusiastically greeted every number with rapturous applause.
- This time there was no mistake as the ball hit the top corner and Murray ran to the stand to receive rapturous applause.
- She described how the mere sight of the Pope's plane was met by rapturous applause and tears of joy.
- Just a few numbers earlier he was welcomed by a rapturous reception from ecstatic fans chanting his name.
- To the sounds of rapturous applause and cheers of agreement, Mr Murphy put his foot down and demanded action.
- The students played to packed houses on both nights and everyone involved was delighted with the rapturous response.
- As soon as he was released Kelly returned to the performance of Peter Pan and received rapturous applause from the audience.
- They brought their wit and music to the midlands and received rapturous applause.
- Dettori waved to the crowd as he passed the post and was met by rapturous applause as he made his way into the winner's enclosure.
- Every act earned a rapturous round of applause from the audience and it wasn't long before people were out of their seats and on the dance floor.
- Displaying a power beyond her size, her breathtaking skill drew rapturous applause from a delighted audience.
- Yet for all that, this was a win that received a rapturous reception from the home fans, after some anxious moments in the second half.
- Beckham was given a rapturous welcome by fans in Japan earlier yesterday after jetting in for a promotional tour of the Far East.
- The Knights worked really hard as a team for that win and they deserved the rapturous applause from the fans at the end.
- Leon performed a handful of his own songs, each one greeted with rapturous applause.
- Both Sir Alex and Reid gave speeches to rapturous applause from the audience.
- It amazes me that people actually break out in rapturous applause when somebody successfully hits the ball.
- Kay's homecoming was marked by rapturous applause - and at the end of the show he received a standing ovation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.