In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Make sure you try the smoked haddock rarebit with creamed leeks and smoked bacon.
- Here, they are matched with a smoked haddock rarebit for an ultra-tasty dish.
- Meanwhile, to make the rarebit, very gently melt the cheese with the milk and stout in a heavy-based pan.
- Unfortunately, there are thousands of recipes for rarebit.
- If you're preparing Welsh rarebit, for example, use a strong-tasting, mature cheese rather than a mild variety.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.