- However, definitions which focus on the idea of either irreversible collapse or of bellows-like compression and rarefaction of air are no help in the present context.
- We hear nothing more of ‘separating out’ or even of rarefaction and condensation.
- Sound is a wave of compression and rarefaction in air.
- Anaximenes' notion of successive change of matter by rarefaction and condensation was influential in later theories.
- Likewise, in a famous passage, Buridan is driven by his own experience to reject Ockham's explanation of condensation and rarefaction as kinds of locomotion.