In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At almost 5,000 ft, it is surrounded by rarefied air, seductive silence and dreamy peaks.
- At 4900m Konzke La is the highest point of this trail; all but the fittest puff and pant in such rarefied air.
- That is more rarefied than the near vacuum in a television cathode ray tube.
- Being 1,200 m above sea level, the climate is ideal for temperate fruits and vegetables which, like the people in the area, thrive on the somewhat rarefied air and the misty surroundings.
- To sustain this kind of stamina, they are exquisitely adapted to the rarefied mountain air of their high-altitude stomping grounds.
- Denver's rarefied air adds about 10 percent to the length of fly balls, making extra base hits too easy.
- Thousands of feet above sea level, the air is clear but rarefied.
- The Moon has no atmosphere; the Martian atmosphere is highly rarefied.
- Early attempts on the summit failed because of equipment and inexperience, but mainly because the rarefied air at altitude contains just a third of the oxygen of air at sea level.
- Playing at home in the rarefied air of Mexico City (7,710 feet above sea level), the Mexicans just don't lose.
- Everest conquest today is often more a triumph of modern equipment, where anyone with the money and the inclination can gulp that highly addictive, rarefied air.
- She did not seem to like the rarefied atmosphere over the Atlantic and proceeded to drop her oxygen level to 30% on a regular basis.
- How does it feel to be breathing such rarefied air?
- When pitcher Mike Hampton signed with the Colorado Rockies, many people wondered aloud whether he would fall victim to the rarefied air of the Mile High city.
- The rarefied air requires a mandatory period of two or three days enforced rest on arrival in order to ward off headaches and mountain sickness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.