In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(seat/chair) retapizar(book) volver a forrar
- In addition the ventilation system is being improved, seats have been re-covered and new carpets are being laid.
- Both Cattel and Hutchinson advise owners who are re-covering their roof to proceed with caution.
- So I've cleaned them up and re-covered them in horticultural fleece.
- The snooker tables have been re-covered and are available for use by adult members of the club.
- If your furniture is in good condition on the inside but looks a bit tired, just have it re-covered.
- What that meant was that no more of the existing metal deck roof would be stripped off each day than could be re-covered that day.
- Because the systems are lightweight, they can be used to re-cover roofs when the structural system cannot hold added weight.
- Friends tell me it is cheaper to buy a new sofa than to re-cover my trusted old one.
- ‘Some furniture I've re-covered a second time around,’ he said.
- We re-covered the chairs with coordinating fabric.
- If you are re-covering several seats and need more yardage, keep in mind pattern repeats and ask the fabric-store experts for measuring assistance.
- Both men then re-covered their meals with foil and ignored me.
- He was pleased to find the club more or less as he remembered it, except that the couch and chairs had been re-covered, and the espresso machine had recently been upgraded.
- Repairs included re-lining the nave parapet gutters with lead, re-covering the north aisle roof with steel, and re-pointing stonework.
- I'm now going to head downstairs and re-cover the sofa, wash up the pots and make a drink before retiring to my room to continue devouring this book.
- To help the clean-up, the number of litter bins in the gardens has been increased by 12 to 20 and soon benches will be re-covered with anti-graffiti paint.
- Treated roots were re-covered with soil and left for 21 months.
- The upholstered pieces have been re-covered in fabric Ruhlmann originally designed for the textile manufacturer Prelle et Compagnie, which still operates in Lyon, France.
- As long as the shape and style of the piece is pleasing, quality furniture is worth re-covering.
- The roof of the former four-storey spinning mill, which faces the railway line, is being stripped and re-covered in Welsh slate to stop it leaking in bad weather.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.