In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These paintings, like the GPS longitude, latitude, and time read-outs, simply mark the artist's presence.
- With the 63 litre tank full the computer gave a read-out of more than 1000 km to empty!
- Reaching for his brother's wrist, he quickly checked the energy read-outs, then sat back on his heels with a smirk.
- He was still breathing on his own, and all his monitor read-outs looked stable.
- The digital read-out showed ‘12 ‘in big, red, blocky numbers.’
- The ‘eyes’ were LED read-outs in either kilowatt-hours or the amount of actual money you are currently throwing out the window.
- He was adamant that the start had been legal, but after I had shown him our read-outs, he had to apologise.
- Thsi car's strength here is the well-spaced instrumentation and information read-outs, the high-position display softly lit to ensure the right button is hit first time, every time.
- For starters, all controls and mechanical read-outs (temps; rpm's; pressures etc…) are now read off a single, large display, tidying up the cab interior and making the operator's job easier.
- With the onset of postcode read-outs, we now know that the majority of Edinburgh households do not decamp for the month, having sublet their properties to theatre companies at outrageous mark-ups.
- One of the many scientists who had come to oversee the start of the process looked up from a computer read-out that he had been watching, and answered, ‘You won't have to.’
- They have their read-outs and their strategies and they can see that their man is gaining on the chap in front as each lap slides by.
- Finally, the digital read-out panel for the radio resembled the LCD of an early generation Gameboy - not the ideal driver/machine interface.
- The dash stretches miles in front of you and the digital read-outs are centrally mounted.
- The easiest way to get an accurate check is with a GPS speed-trap locator or portable sat nav unit, which have speed read-outs that are totally accurate.
- In addition, measuring gauges have become more sophisticated over the years moving from simple measuring systems to automatic linear positioners to air-stops and digital read-outs - all making set-ups quicker and easier.
- All read-outs were checked for accurate base calling and assembled using a reliable system.
- ‘Uh-huh,’ Leanne said, checking some of the read-outs on her console.
- This old-school British feel even extends to the more modern elements such as climate control, which offers read-outs in Imperial Fahrenheit.
- Walking him over to one of the medical beds she set him on it then went to her computer to study the read-outs that the suit picked up from him during the fight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.