In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)servicio de envíos postales en el cual se exige la firma del destinatario como constancia de la entrega del envío
- On another occasion, 30 letters were sent by recorded delivery, with Royal Mail being unable to account for three of them.
- The northern area planning committee made its decision on 5 December, and the decision notice was sent the following day by recorded delivery.
- A superior service, such as the Royal Mail's special delivery, which applies to packages weighing between 0.5kg and 2kg, may be cheaper than recorded delivery.
- To ensure they received it I sent it by recorded delivery which cost me £1.35p.
- ‘We have sent letters by recorded delivery to the firm, sent them text messages, and called them, but we are not getting any response,’ she said.
- Make sure you sign the form and keep a copy, and ensure that you send your return by recorded delivery.
- Formal written notices, signed by Mr Penson, were sent to the banks by recorded delivery.
- She sent off an application form to the Births and Register Office in Pembrokeshire by recorded delivery.
- Without depositing or drawing any money from the account I sent all the paperwork back by recorded delivery but since then have been getting a monthly statement that increases my debt by £2.50 a month for ‘text message banking’.
- Businesses have complained of unreliability and, in some cases, resorted to insisting customers send routine letters by recorded delivery.
- Then I discovered that the letter I sent by recorded delivery to pay my speeding fine had gone missing, along with my driving licence and a cheque in payment.
- We had a packet to send off to the solicitor with the signed and witnessed Deed of Transfer which we wanted to go as a recorded delivery.
- With the end result that I had to repackage the scanner and cart it down to the post office and send it back by recorded delivery.
- Howard Ogden, defending, said that Adamson claimed to have sent a letter setting out detailed reasons for his no-show by recorded delivery to the magistrates.
- Today, I was expecting to receive a parcel by recorded delivery.
- Their original passports should accordingly be sent to me at the Immigration and Nationality Directorate by recorded delivery.
- Post by recorded delivery, that way there are no excuses and you have a record of posting it for insurance purposes.
- He told me he had sent it by recorded delivery on Thursday so when it hadn't arrived on Saturday I thought I'd better call to find out why.
- He replied to let me know that all was fine and that the game was coming back to me by recorded delivery.
- Publishers don't use recorded delivery, so it was unlikely to be a reject letter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.