In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The new troops will train 1,000 raw recruits for the Sierra Leone army at a special camp.
- Only by reducing the army and applying higher enlistment standards to all recruits could racial violence be reduced, essential in an army that is now one-third black.
- Once minimally trained, most new recruits are quickly set out on the battlefield.
- This archive consists of hundreds of images of naked men, presumably fresh conscripts and army recruits, taken for an unknown kind of ethnographic exercise.
- To put it baldly, we now have overpaid recruits and underpaid sergeants.
- The intention is to influence many of those new recruits into becoming Army Reserve officers.
- The advanced soldier course will be in place for the first recruits marching into the Army Recruit Training Centre in February 2005.
- Of the 20 who began the course earlier this year two have already enlisted and will begin recruit training at HMAS Cerberus in January.
- To help meet its 2005 recruiting objectives, the Army's recruiting command has lowered some standards for recruits.
- The recruits they train are all volunteers who, unlike draftees dragged kicking and screaming into camp, willingly seek military service.
- The abuse of new recruits to our Army, while criminal, also greatly impedes successful recruitment efforts.
- In fact, in 2002 it was reported that 60 percent of all female recruits would serve in military positions previously excluded to them.
- Yet in 1993, when the Commandant of the Marine Corps proposed that recruits be limited to single persons only, he was publicly rebuked.
- Walsh had enlisted as a recruit with the Marines during 1933.
- Students with no other income are a major source of recruits for the part-time Army.
- Medical officers examined new recruits for physical fitness to regular army standards.
- The new recruits adapted well to military life and, although a few deserted or turned on their officers, proved loyal to the United States.
- In addition, at least since the inception of the all-volunteer Army, the United States has never filled the Army exclusively with male recruits.
- Around half of the new army's recruits have deserted or failed to make the grade, U.S. trainers say, leaving only about 2,500 soldiers.
- This program allows qualified civilian recruits to enlist specifically for Special Forces training.
2(new member)the latest recruits to the club/staff — los nuevos socios del club/miembros del personal
- one of our latest recruits — una de nuestras últimas adquisiciones
2(take on, attract)(members/volunteers) reclutar(staff) contratarthey tried to recruit me into the party — trataron de convencerme para que me afiliara al partido
1(army) alistar reclutas(company) buscar personal(company) reclutar gente
2recruiting pres p(agent/office) de reclutamiento
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.