In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1urogallo de Escocia masculino
- It is the home of the lapwing, curlew, golden plover, dunlin and red grouse.
- The problem is that numbers of red grouse are in freefall, continuing a downward trend witnessed over the past 20 years or more.
- Marsden Moor supports large numbers of moorland birds such as the golden plover, red grouse, curlew and the diminutive twite.
- The black grouse needs a more varied habitat than the better-established red grouse.
- Fine weather throughout the spring and early summer has produced encouraging numbers of red grouse for the start of the season on Tuesday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.