In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1reducto masculinothe last redoubt of the rebels — el último reducto / baluarte de los rebeldes
- Unlike the fortified cities of northern Ireland, Charles Towne's streets fail to connect the bastions and redoubts rimming the town.
- The earthworks were reused as a gun redoubt during the Civil War.
- A camp was built on top of the cliff and a redoubt followed.
- The buccaneer fought the King's soldiers for many a year until a large force of redcoats stormed his redoubt.
- A few men actually made it to the redoubt on top, only to be killed immediately.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.