In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Among the reed beds red herons and marsh falcons can be seen.
- We recycle the water so that from the bathrooms, we have a reed bed, which clears some of the soap and chemicals out of it, and then we use it for watering plants and trees around the place.
- Lighting will run off wind turbines, reed beds will deal with waste water and solar panels will generate energy for street lights.
- Other natural water purification systems include reed beds, which can concentrate many of the undesirable elements of water into the stems of the plants given sufficient time.
- A spot my son and I found on the Welsh Dee last winter consisted of a steady glide alongside a dense reed bed.
- When it has been used, it will not drain into the usual mains drainage but into a reed bed in the corner of the quadrangle.
- Purple Heron is a regular overshooting migrant to Britain and it is always worth checking any heron you see fly from a reed bed.
- We numbered each nest and marked its position with a small plastic tag on the outer edge of the reed bed towards the open water.
- Plans for the houses include water waste disposal via a reed bed located in a pond in communal parkland, dry composting and the collection of rain water for use in the houses.
- The result will be about 10 acres of open water throughout the year while reed beds and wet grasslands will be planted to attract wildfowl.
- When the larvae reach a length of about 80 mm they move to the deeper waters of adjacent reed beds.
- I fished a little hole that was barely a foot deep, behind the main reed bed, inaccessible from the rest of the lake.
- In many countries the harvesting of reed beds from wetland areas for producing paper and basketry is a vital part of local economic growth.
- Then one morning recently I got up to make tea and the same sound came from a nearby reed bed.
- In conjunction with a number of local businesses, we'll plant reed beds.
- A wetland habitat with reed beds, a boardwalk, bridges and an outdoor classroom will also transform the park encouraging wildlife and the public.
- The knack is to anchor well away from the bank or reed bed to be fished, then cast baits back in to the mark.
- A central area has been turned into a garden, including ponds with reed beds to purify waste water and the development has a community hall.
- Previous hard concrete channel solutions for riverbank protection are now thought to be inferior to stone gabbions, gravel banks, reed beds and willow trees.
- To the right there was a small weed free channel in front of a reed bed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.