In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To be useful to scholars a proposition must be falsifiable - there must be something which could in theory refute the statement.
- In these papers, where he was largely concerned with general philosophical problems of time and space, he adopted a quixotic standpoint in his attempt to refute the theory as being logically untenable.
- Some Austrian economists have tried to refute this argument by denying the very existence of an income effect.
- Naturally, the panelists are keen to refute the various theories and game plans that dominate the thinking of the ruling establishment in Washington.
- Fortunately, I do not have to refute the labor theory of value, it's already been done, see Human Action by Mises.
- If they are not correct, they have to be contradicted or refuted by evidence.
- This process of using observation and experiment to refute false theories does not rely on induction in any way.
- To refute the accusations, Ma went to Xianyang 215 Hospital for a hymen test on February 6.
- Second, the evidence refutes the notion that the underclass syndrome is ironclad.
- He thus single-handedly refutes the Platonic theory of evil as ignorance of the good.
- As with all research, evaluations of these hypotheses will not confirm or refute associated theories but may allow refinement of theories.
- That story alone would appear to refute the accusations of those who have denounced Sonia as a gold-digger, capitalising on the vulnerability of Orwell when he was dying.
- It is for the defence to search for evidence to refute the accusation's charges.
- Most incorrect or incoherent claims are easily refuted by experience or logic but religious concepts are different.
- This argument can be refuted by deriving a contradiction.
- Such restraint certainly appears to refute any accusation of aerial terrorism and seems almost magnanimous compared to the British propensity to bomb any suspicious activity.
- I haven't had much success refuting their accusations.
- Dembski's latest attempt to refute Darwinian theory is by arguing that in a closed system, information can only decrease.
- Remember, he already knows the facts that I use to refute these accusations.
- It is the nullification of public discourse, for how can one refute accusations grounded in ethnicity?
- The Cosla group, however, refutes any accusations of unfair play, claiming that McConnell and the rest of the group are simply showing ‘foresight’ in setting out local government's views.
- Indeed recently, Egypt has been keen to refute accusations that it has lost its influence in Africa and that it perceives Africa as a fourth priority, after the Middle East, the US, and Europe.
- He also refuted suggestions that a resident was not given daily walks as required.
- Sheikh Hamad refuted those accusations, saying that all the children were Sudanese who entered the country legally and were accompanied by their parents or a guardian.
- The accusations have been refuted by K & WVR bosses, who said figures released this week showed that the number of people travelling on the five-mile line was continuing to increase.
- After they went public the minister refuted the accusation.
- The students' protest was refuted by IPB spokesman Agus Lelana, who said the institute would support the administration's effort to ease congestion in the area.
- I refute Mr Strausbaugh's accusations but I applaud his championing of Ballard.
- Waterford Against Racism vehemently refutes the outrageous accusations made by Minister of Justice, John O'Donoghue in the past week.
- He was scheduled to hold a press conference in Bangkok later Saturday to refute accusations by the Cambodian government that he incited the riots.
- As an experienced Real Estate Agent I strongly refute the claims made in this letter.
- We totally refute any suggestion that these dismissals are linked to anything other than a serious breach of discipline.
- The Republicans also refuted the accusations that The Joker was part of a vast right-wing conspiracy.
- Kenyon refuted all these accusations and was clearly annoyed they have been made public.
- Responding to concerns in the Northern Isles, NorthLink have refuted accusations that it is seeking to cut jobs in the islands.
- Before Taiden could even begin to refute these accusations, the crowd turned on him.
- When Mahendran confronted them, they were annoyed and refuted his accusation.
- Su's accusation was refuted by city government officials, who said the construction completion date had been officially postponed to the end of August next year.
- Pasiya strongly refutes these allegations, accusing some of these players of ill discipline.
- But again, this has not been substantiated, on the contrary it was flatly refuted by one of the people we spoke to.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.