In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in spite of everything)I told her not to do it, but she carried on regardless — le dije que no lo hiciera pero no me hizo caso
- she'll have her say, regardless — siempre tiene que dar su opinión, pese a quien pese / pase lo que pase
- What I normally do in these circumstances is grit my teeth and carry on regardless.
- I chose to blot out the sound of cold water being poured on my words of admiration, and carried on regardless.
- Whatever pressure groups and politics decide, the science will go on regardless.
- She had a choice; she could either live carefully and pray, or carry on regardless.
- At this point she clamps a hand over her mouth but then carries on regardless.
- Or do you just keep going regardless when it's just a general cold virus no matter how severe?
- He warned that if the authority did not change its stance, he would put in an application regardless.
- Spike pressed ahead regardless, scrubbing a virginal white spot into the dingy patio.
- When we started we genuinely could not play at all but we all enjoyed it so much we carried on regardless.
- Thus, there is no reason for any of us to work because we will make the same, regardless.
- It decided to carry on regardless with the improvement work it had set out to do.
- Rodney would probably take the job regardless but also has had at least one other job offer.
- He said it seemed the plan would go ahead regardless as the sign had already been erected.
- That smacks of either a high degree of confidence, or resignation that a bloody nose is on its way regardless.
- Teaching staff expected little or nothing from them and battled on regardless.
- I munch on regardless and this morning, I wake up feeling sick with stomach cramps.
- Or will we just keep buying regardless, carried away by the cheap thrill of it all?
- Is there a scene that you consider yourself a part of, or do you just do your thing regardless?
- Sertori is aware the City fans were questioning his role as a striker but vowed to carry on regardless.
- The band didn't flounder as emergency supplies kicked in, and carried on regardless.
1we must leave tonight, regardless of the cost/consequences — tenemos que salir esta noche, cueste lo que cueste/pase lo que pase
- regardless of what people say — a pesar de lo que diga la gente
- regardless of her feelings on the matter — sin tener en cuenta lo que ella pudiera (or pueda etc.) pensar
- we'll go regardless of the weather — iremos llueva o truene
- Everybody is welcome with a smile, regardless of age, occupation or nationality.
- You just shift the speeders to smaller roads and the nutters will always kill regardless of tickets.
- When you are a parent you have a responsibility to your child, regardless of their age.
- In my experience of hikers, they rarely stick to a footpath anyway regardless of its width.
- Both councillors said regardless of the signs in place, people did not always follow them.
- Acne can affect men and women of all ages regardless of skin type or lifestyle.
- NHS services will be provided, regardless of age, on the basis of clinical need alone.
- Of course I abhor exploitative or coercive sex, regardless of the age of those involved.
- Eights are considered wild and may be played regardless of the card on the pile.
- Gen Jackson said he would carry out the changes regardless of who is in power.
- Some people will smoke anyway regardless of whether they are supposed to or not.
- Officers are now warning that offenders face prosecution if caught, regardless of their age.
- She said she was going to do that regardless of her party's stance on paid parental leave.
- Anybody who exceeds speed limits now will always exceed them, regardless of a post with a number on it.
- In some places the inhabitants were killed to the last person regardless of age or sex.
- According to the proposals, pupils would sit the exams at their own pace, regardless of their age.
- She had always been brought up to believe murder was wrong, regardless of circumstance.
- Always say what is just and fair regardless of any loss to you, friend or relative.
- This is indeed a unique race, regardless of age or gender all the athletes run together.
- Mr White said fines would continue to be issued regardless of a person's age.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.