In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tradition/mascot/band) del regimiento
- The Queen paused at the Black Watch regimental plot and spoke to Brigadier Donald Wilson and regimental secretary Joe Hubble.
- One of the other traditions of the British Army that helped with recruiting was the regimental system.
- The British used senior regimental commanders to command their brigades as a temporary duty.
- I attended a very productive meeting for regimental and motorized rifle battalion scouts.
- In another sector, men of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were busy fraternising with the enemy and exchanging presents and regimental badges.
- He had several postings to the War Office and in 1958 he returned to regimental duty as second-in-command.
- He joined the army in 1942 and became regimental medical officer.
- After landing in Normandy he served as a regimental medical officer until the armistice.
- With the frontline safe, regimental staff officers come up on visits and the truce continues through Boxing Day.
- Soldiers and their families could count on returning to the regimental home base over a career.
- The pre-war Indian Army was structured along British Army lines and had similar regimental traditions.
- The HHC provides administrative and logistics support to the regimental headquarters.
- His staff officers were white except for a black warrant officer, the assistant regimental adjutant.
- A regimental cavalry troop has two tank platoons, two scout platoons, and a heavy mortar section.
- This variant is reported to be used by regimental and division staffs.
- Go to the regimental headquarters, take a bath, get a clean uniform and report to the adjutant.
- He served as regimental medical officer in North Africa and Italy, and was mentioned in dispatches in 1945.
- Three division commanders and many regimental and battalion commanders were relieved in less than a month.
- He became its regimental colonel, and even as a general often wore its uniform, with its death's-head badge on the busby.
- By the Battle of Shiloh, Grant had moved from regimental command to command of an army.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.