In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(enrollment)inscripción femeninomatrícula femeninoUniversidad inscripción femeninoUniversidad matriculación femenino(of trademark) registro masculinoregistration mark — matrícula femenino
- registration plate / tag — matrícula
- ‘Effectively this means people are forced to complete the process of registration twice,’ said Mr Murphy.
- Controls were selected from registers compiled through the legally required process of birth registration.
- However, the awareness among the people about the importance of birth registration is significantly lower than the national average.
- Most queries fielded by One Family related to legal issues relating to guardianship, divorce, separation, birth registration, and social welfare issues.
- All these groups concentrate their resources on increasing youth registration and turnout.
- The addition of this fee is intended to ease the process of registration during orientation week.
- He trained in London as an actuary before migrating to Melbourne in 1852, and in the following year took charge of the new system of compulsory civil registration of births, deaths, and marriages.
- The largest European observer group also found flaws with every step of the electoral process from voter registration and campaigning to the actual vote.
- Massachusetts in 1842 became the first state to commence comprehensive registration of births, deaths, and marriages.
- The centre has also acknowledged that the rate of registration of births in the country is less than 40 per cent.
- The 1907 Notification of Births Act in Britain facilitated registration of births and home visits by infant-care specialists.
- The matter was raised under their monthly housing report which showed that registration of private rented dwellings has reached 727.
- In the second phase, the collection of tax from private car owners, registration of vehicles and allotment of numbers to the newly registered vehicles would be performed by the computers.
- This tax is known as Vehicle Registration Tax and is payable on the first registration of a car in the State, which has to be done before it can be licensed for road tax purposes, thereby making the car legal to drive.
- This hour, Arnold Schwarzenegger is scheduled to work a crowd in Riverside, California, and try to pump up voter registration in the process.
- With a population of 300-million people, and registration among youth increasing, a power shift was inevitable.
- But, the income from registration did not increase as the Government had expected.
- Across the nation, the massive increase in voter registration that has been a hallmark of the campaign is evident among the young as well.
- He claimed that Yahoo profits from the free online registration process because it increases advertising revenues and consumer information it collects is used for marketing purposes.
- The process of registration is slow and laborious and this has been compounded by the low number of people who have been assigned to carry out the task.
1.2British (at school)registration is at 9 — se pasa lista a las 9
- I missed registration — llegué cuando ya habían pasado lista
1.3British Automóvilesletra en la matrícula de un vehículo que indica el año de matriculacióna K-registration Volvo — un Volvo del 92/93
- In addition, vehicle owners wishing to purchase a personalised registration mark will be able to search DVLA's extensive database of over 19 million registrations.
- You must fill in the date, time of parking and registration number clearly.
- I was told to simply buy Office 95, register it by snail-mail or fax and include a copy of the receipt with the registration.
- But the scheme could not take off as planned and the majority of the polluting vehicles kept plying as several of them had no registration number or number plate.
- Then there was another address and a car registration number.
- The registration number and description of the vehicle Jones is believed to be driving was also flashed on signs on highways.
- Cllr Rice said when people see illegal dumping taking place they should take the registration number of the cars involved and report it to the local authority.
- Police say that installing anti-theft devices and etching the registration number on the windscreen, will go a long way in countering the problem.
- Mr McEvoy said he had taken down the car registration of the jet ski operators and was going to lodge a complaint with the Gardai about the incident.
- When a work is sold, the registration - complete with its descriptive history - is transferred to the new owner.
- He then gave me the registration number of the new car himself.
- They are hoping the work will be completed today and that it will give them the registration number of the car driven by the killers, as well as other important evidence.
- Three bikes were found where the riders had deliberately altered the letters on the registration mark to try to prevent the bikes being traced.
- The officer returned with his bow-legged walk, a new yellowish paper in his hand on top of the registration he had handed him earlier.
- A Southern Fisheries spokesman urged people to get a registration number, a car or van colour if they do see anybody using nets to fish.
- The usual drill adopted by security staff, who are most uncomfortable with the situation, is to have one guard stand by the car while the registration number is called out over the centre's public address system.
- She rang the police immediately, informing them of the make, colour and registration number of the car, but she said no one got back to her and the car left the scene within 45 minutes.
- The city needs to increase parking fees, toll fees or car registration costs to further subsidise public transit and bring down the cost of the bus pass.
- His car had ignition and steering locks internally, the registration number engraved on all of the windows and a sticker on the windscreen warning potential thieves that he had an alarm system.
- Suddenly drivers lost their anonymity and could be identified by the unique registration number the law required them to attach to their cars.
- When the person who came upon the scene phoned the Guards and gave the registration number of the car it was found that the plates were off another car, also believed to have been stolen.
- So when I went to talk to the police, I gave them my car's description and registration number and everything else.
- My mother was able to memorise his car's registration number and within the hour we were at the Police station to report the crime, but to our surprise, or should I say not, to this day nothing has been done.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.