1.1seguircontinuarquedarsepermanecer formalher condition remains critical — su estado sigue siendo crítico
- these laws will remain in force — estas leyes continuarán / permanecerán en vigor
- the best thing is to remain silent — lo mejor es quedarse callado / es callarse
- he remained cheerful despite everything — a pesar de todo no perdía el buen humor
- if the weather remains fine — si sigue haciendo buen tiempo
- the mystery remained unsolved — el misterio no se llegó a resolver / quedó sin resolver(se)
- he remained standing — se quedó de pie
- please remain seated — por favor permanezcan en sus asientos
- (in letters) I remain, yours faithfully — le saluda atentamente
- The taint of uncertainty and danger in the region, while it remains, will continue to have a negative effect on investor sentiment.
- Nevertheless, uncertainty remains about the optimal selection of patients for home treatment.
- This pubic hair remains for the rest of the adult life.
- She met and married her husband, Lou, and remained there for the rest of her life.
- Academic and even judicial uncertainty remains about the exact meaning and scope of the term.
- Secondly, a degree of uncertainty remains regarding the freedom of the parties to vary their contract where the third party's views are unknown.
- All are covered with an undercoat, of which a great deal remains, of a copper-red colour.
- However, uncertainty remains regarding the effectiveness of interventions to reduce lead hazards and blood lead levels.
- Uncertainty will always remain, however, particularly when the evidence is unreliable.
- I say that, without resolving this question, a wholly undesirable state of uncertainty will remain.
- But even so uncertainty remains as to possible changes in the state of targets between the time of missile launching and its flying.
- Yet at the end of it, serious doubts remained as to whether the story should ever have been given the prominence it had.
- Therefore, great uncertainty remains as to whether the US economy has entered a period of stable growth.
- Uncertainty remains, but here are seven promising trends that could make the year memorable.
- I no longer wish to support my husband's application to remain in the UK and we are no longer together.
- Though a silver bullet does not exist, hope remains for improved weed control.
- But the fact remains that the BBC continues to broadcast challenging environmental coverage on TV, radio and the internet.
- But a great deal of pictorial evidence remains from both regions, along with much information in literary and religious texts about the place and function of music.
- But serious uncertainties remain about how to measure and account for estimates of net carbon.
1.2(stay)quedarsepermanecer formalremain here until I call you — quédese aquí hasta que lo llame
- how long do you intend to remain in the country? — ¿cuánto tiempo piensa permanecer en el país?
2.1(be left)quedarthis is all that remains of the city — esto es todo lo que queda de la ciudad
- a few crumbs were all that remained — solo quedaban unas migajas
- there are less than five minutes remaining — quedan menos de cinco minutos
- let me enjoy the few pleasures that remain (to me) — déjame que disfrute de los pocos placeres que me quedan
- the fact remains that … — el hecho es que …
- to remain to + inf
- what still remains to be done? — ¿qué falta hacer?
- certain questions remain to be answered — hay ciertos puntos que hay que aclarar aún
- it only remains for us to say goodbye — ya solo nos queda despedirnos
- all that remains is for this last restriction to be lifted — lo único que falta es que se levante esta última restricción
- to remain behind — quedarse
- After a year nothing much had happened and, with no funds remaining, treatment ceased.
- In the end, with absolutely no time remaining, a deal was cut.
- If the Court pleases, there are nine matters remaining for me to deal with.
- Twelve minutes remained to be played, and four more were added.
2.2remaining present participlethey spent the remaining day in Paris — pasaron el día que les quedaba en París
- the remaining ten pounds can be paid later — las diez libras restantes / que quedan / que faltan pueden pagarse más adelante