In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For a free and productive society to reemerge, the Sixteenth Amendment must be repealed - thereby abolishing the income tax.
- Congress repealed the bankruptcy act in 1803 before its scheduled expiration.
- Massachusetts repealed its law in July, 1786, because, as Governor Bowdoin explained, other states, refusing to cooperate, had tried to use it for one-sided advantage.
- In other words, although Parliament was repealing the Stamp Act, it retained its right to govern America.
- The Moroccanization law was repealed in 1993 and the Moroccan government began allowing for up to 100 percent repatriation of capital.
- This repeal will be challenged as an invasion of state sovereignty, but recall that Congress had no trouble in 1939 repealing the tax exemption of state and local employees.
- The report predicts price wars may arise if the government repeals the 1987 Grocery Act, though other sources believe the threat of the government repealing the act is now receding.
- The constitutional court repealed the law in January.
- She thought the genesis of the secrecy culture, the Official Secrets Act, should be repealed, and regretted the failure of the bill to do that.
- On February 7, 1865, newly-inaugurated governor Richard Oglesby signed the bill repealing the black laws.
- If the law is repealed, VW could be vulnerable to outside pressure.
- More has been said in recent years - even in recent days - about repealing the Act of Settlement.
- Two more acts followed in 1861 and 1863, repealing hundreds of old laws; these acts and subsequent legislation abrogated much of Magna Carta.
- Finally, the Act of 1534 repealed the Act of 1484, and further stated that aliens could only sell wholesale wares to English-born printers or stationers, and that no bound books were to be imported at all.
- However, the betterment provisions of the 1947 Act were repealed in 1953.
- To offset the cost of repealing the tax, Congress is contemplating the extension of capital gains taxation to all who inherit financial assets, called a ‘carryover’ provision.
- The Act was repealed in 1822 after Smith caused a smallpox epidemic in Tarboro, North Carolina.
- Between 1830 and mid-century, colonial licensing laws were repealed, temporary, or rarely enforced.
- It was Mill's circle of ‘Philosophic Radicals’ who, in the 1830s, were the primary Parliamentary advocates of and activists on behalf of repealing the remaining Acts.
- If we cannot get a better system, we might be better off repealing all antitrust laws.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.