In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(instances/attempts/warnings) repetido(warnings/attempts/instances) reiterado(requests/demands) reiterado(criticism/insistence) constante
- Results of repeated tests for C difficile toxin were negative.
- The US scotched repeated attempts at the UN to establish a peacekeeping force on the ground in the Territories.
- Repeated watching of violent or traumatic events on the television should be avoided.
- Five dissident Iranian authors have been assassinated over the last two years following repeated death threats.
- A short melody, usually in the bass, repeated continually with changing upper parts.
- This evening of appetising dishes to tingle the tastebuds is to be repeated on Saturday, November 24.
- In some centers, repeated bronchial biopsies are suggested to study the pathology.
- Many of the scenes are repeated in slow motion.
- Programmable shunts allow surgeons to adjust the settings on the shunt from outside the body, thereby decreasing the need for repeated surgeries.
- The discrepancies in the payment of pensions discussed earlier are repeated in the values of state pensions.
- Both workers were employed by the Jorge Erazo Company, a subcontractor under investigation for repeated violations of safety rules.
- In Leeds hospitals alone 60-70,000 admissions are drink-related - a picture repeated across the region.
- The benefit term is discounted by the probability of a repeated game q, showing the importance of frequent encounters.
- The chicken motif is repeated at several times in the film.
- Kreuger made money from money, offering hefty dividends to attract investors to the repeated share offerings from his companies.
- In addition, repeated simulations with the same set of parameter values were very consistent in their outcomes.
- Best of all is the chapters on money management, which are repeated almost verbatim for each game.
- Henri Josserand condemned Western governments for failing to respond to repeated appeals for urgent food aid to the famine-stricken country.
- Meridian acupuncture treatments were repeated from two to four times a month.
- Harper thanks the street gangs for the repeated attacks on his campaign for his soaring poll numbers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.