In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the minister had reportedly agreed to it — según se informa, el ministro había dado su consentimiento
- reportedly, she is quite different in private life — se dice que en su vida privada es muy diferente
- After filming was complete, Jamal reportedly made use of his unexpired visa to return to London and apply for asylum in real life.
- He later moved to the US, where he reportedly received flight training in Florida with his cousin Mohammed Atta.
- Africa, reportedly, has only 14 million phone lines - significantly less than most large cities in the West.
- Rogers' death near Cullaville, South Armagh was reportedly connected with a row in the border village involving ten men.
- And he reportedly replied that religion is the way we conduct ourselves towards others.
- In fact, her appointment reportedly made her the highest-ranking woman in Chicago business.
- Kalla was reportedly fired for alleged corruption and nepotism related in part to the power project.
- Harold rebuffed her, but reportedly told some close friends of his ‘very tiresome half sister’.
- Elektra's martial arts mentor Stick will reportedly play a central role in the film which will see Elektra battling the ninja clan known as The Hand.
- Wahid reportedly replied he will ask Indonesia's finance minister and the tariff bureau chief to investigate the problem.
- I should say that Morris died one week after getting to see the completed film late last year, and he reportedly loved it.
- The reason for transferring centrifuge designs to Iran reportedly between 1987 and 1991 was probably money.
- The offer was reportedly renewed during President Vladimir Putin's visit to India in December 2002.
- It has reportedly agreed to the merger of the two plans, and increased the size of its Phnom Penh office, so the process can be overseen in Cambodia.
- Zantzinger reportedly now lives on a farm in neighbouring St Mary's County.
- Some women reportedly were so scared that they went into labour, and rumors circulated later that a few teenagers had committed suicide.
- It is reportedly inspired by true events and is described as ‘graphic and deeply disturbing’.
- She was reportedly a tough character, bitterly acerbic and tragically alcoholic.
- One of their biggest successes is Buy Nothing Day, a global boycott that has reportedly had an impact on 60 countries worldwide.
- The hedge was reportedly longer than the Great Wall of China!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.