In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Among the main features of the interior are the magnificent rood screen, reredos and font canopy of Frosterley marble.
- Facing the altar, the reredos overwhelm the viewer's vision with rows upon rows of imposing carved saints and prophets.
- But what strikes most visitors is the dramatic altar and reredos, or carved altarpiece, with tall statues of saints backed by scarlet curtains.
- After a stroll through the attractive gardens, members visited the baroque church with its splendid reredos from Venice and Italian wall paintings.
- The sanctuary is emphasised by marble steps, a stone reredos and an altar enriched with candlesticks and an impressive blue enamelled altar cross.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.