In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(social acceptability)decencia femenino
- It's a very worrying development and it's gaining social respectability.
- It describes the way the lower castes tend to imitate the customs and rituals of the upper layers in order to gain social respectability.
- What they seemed to entirely be missing in their analysis is the notion of respectability.
- They spend their fortune trying to gain social respectability.
- Wealth is a marker for social status, success, and respectability, just as poverty is stigmatising.
- If marriage confers social status and respectability, adultery confers a stigma.
- Modern dress also looks anachronistic in a world where respectability is a prime virtue and cuckoldry a social stigma.
- The social respectability of science attracted the patronage of wealthy and influential figures.
- The Sixties completely wiped away the notion that virginity was essential to respectability and decency.
- The old respectability of the establishment could no longer cover up the major moral lapses of the financial sector.
- In our family, integrity is there, respectability also.
- For a long time, the capital of Victoria seemed to be the seat of provincial respectability.
- In the course of her conversation on the day of the workshop, she often referred to the terms dignity and respectability.
- But the gravitational pull of bourgeois respectability remained strong.
- They were well aware that, in order to retain social respectability, their sexual behaviour had to be beyond reproach.
- Has the notion of solidarity escaped him in his flight for respectability?
- The acquisition of land not only gave social respectability but also wealth.
- Teaching offered both social respectability and an opportunity to earn a living.
- They've got that credibility and that respectability back.
- He had brought nobility and respectability to the British stage.
- Now many astrologers seem to have a hankering, a hunger even, for scientific respectability that never fails to amaze me.
- His take on the respectability of SETI in the scientific community is unduly pessimistic.
- They desperately crave scientific respectability, but it is their own theory that prevents them from attaining it.
- This is how it achieves respectability, legitimacy and, very often, public funding.
- In this way, perhaps, he seeks to cloak his book in an aura of scientific respectability.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.