In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I forgot flour and mushrooms, which were essential to the dessert and main course respectively.
- Both release new albums this month after eight and 11 years away respectively.
- The dose-finding and main assays were conducted using one plate and two plates, respectively.
- Canada and the UK came third and fourth, with nine million and eight million respectively.
- The two new products will be linked to endowment and pension plans respectively.
- The sentences passed for those offences were eight, twelve and twelve years respectively.
- Both have been working their way back to full fitness after being out with injury and illness respectively.
- Arrowhead and asterisk mark thick cuticle and primary wall, respectively.
- We now have before us a skeletal account of the way in which sexism and racism construe women and blacks, respectively.
- He reached this stage after qualifying from county and then regional events in June and July respectively.
- Both were absent from last night's team through work commitments and injury respectively.
- A group of human heroes and villains set out to respectively save or exploit the situation.
- He was sentenced to six months and three months respectively, to run consecutively.
- Two boys in the car, aged eight and three, sustained minor head and neck injuries respectively.
- We got them in that order and there names are Oscar, Lady and Jasmine respectively.
- These positions are frequently referred to respectively as objectivism and constructionism.
- These score eight and seven out of 10 respectively in terms of adding value to an existing home.
- Promotion and relegation respectively appear to be the future for these squads.
- The drawing room and dining room lie to the left of the hallway and look onto the front and rear respectively.
- His first and third goals came with the last kick of the first and second half respectively.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.