In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural retinas, Plural retinae
- Seeing an object requires the mediation of light to create an image in the retina.
- And for vision it is also necessary that there should be visual purple behind the retina and an opaque cornea and iris.
- Lutein is one of the hydroxy carotenoids that make up the macular pigment of human retinas.
- The chip captures light that enters the eye, and generates an electrical signal that is transmitted to the overlaying neural cells of the retina.
- As soon as the flash frames started strobing audience retinas, the soundtrack began adding layers of chaotic on-the-scene sound recordings.
- I watched until my eyes hurt, and when I turned away, a black imprint was left on my retina by light too strong to bear.
- However, in 1996, scientists at the University of Illinois in Chicago found that astaxanthin protected the retinas of rats exposed to damaging light.
- The flatter cornea then focuses images farther back inside the eyeball, projecting them on the retina instead of in front of it, as is the case in nearsightedness.
- He tried to imagine a world with colours and brightness but all he could think of was the feeling he got when he stared directly at a light for too long and it burned a red and blue image on his retina when he closed his eyes.
- His dissection of the eye yielded the distinction between cornea, retina, iris, and chorioid coat.
- Light rays bounce off the person and onto the retina through the pupil, so if the pupils are large, more light will enter the eyes, and therefore providing a better image.
- Greens and reds are bright enough to sting your retinas, but blues and yellows are soft and washed out.
- The luminous light shone into his retinas and he squinted slightly.
- The lens works much like a camera, focusing light onto the retina at the back of the eye.
- In Steven Spielberg's film, Minority Report, every time Tom Cruise walked down a street, advertising billboards scanned his retinas and broadcast personalised ads.
- However, many deep-sea species have extremely thick retinae with large numbers of visual pigments.
- Many people with total blindness experience life-long sleeping problems because their retinas are unable to detect light.
- More than 10 million Americans are thought to have macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa, diseases of the retina that often result in blindness.
- As with similar work in the United States, the prosthetic retina works by passing artificially stimulating the optic nerve, in line with signals from a tiny digital camera mounted on a pair of glasses.
- The protein of the lens had changed, making it opaque and preventing light from reaching the retina.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.