In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(invariable adjective) retro
- The Bandai-published remake delivers the best of both ages, making over retro robot designs with flashy modern animation.
- The result is a car which is both modern and retro in its looks.
- Every designer needs a good stock photo collection or your designs may start to look dated or retro, awkward or tired.
- But when a graphic designer uses a typeface that is older than 30 years, it is dismissed as retro, nostalgia or emptiness.
- Its retro art style gives it an appealing timeless quality, an allegory about the relationship between humans and technology that sums up the core of all science fiction.
- The designers have pulled off the difficult trick of taking the inspiration from a classic shape while making the car look fresh rather than retro.
- The song pulled off a handsome trick, being both retro and modern simultaneously, combining the old Cullum with the new.
- The 1980's retro styles will appear fresher because of the above knee shorter skirt length.
- The diner was an 80's retro diner that looked like it was still from the 80's.
- The style is heightened by the restrained color palette and decidedly retro feel to the animation.
- Making over the icon and putting the classic glass bottles back in circulation may have a certain retro appeal with Coke's younger drinkers.
- The resulting song feels overproduced and too distinctly current, and temporarily hinders the album's retro charm.
- The Night Gallery is a small cabaret that has Hard Rock Café styled décor with retro memorabilia covering the walls from floor to ceiling.
- The graphically crisp, retro lettering style adds a whiff of nostalgia to this evocation of language's reflexive capacity.
- It was almost a retro 50's style of a male high school student.
- It was furnished in a retro - 1950s style, not because he liked that style, but because his mother had extra pieces she did not need.
- The decor is an eclectic mélange of retro and modern.
- They make music that, though heavily steeped in the past, is neither cold nor regular nor retro.
- ‘It's easy to go retro because people are always going to be familiar with it,’ adds Olejar.
- They all turned to see a freckled face red-haired girl in a 80's retro type green dress and pumps.
- It's new, but cannily designed with a heavy dose of retro.
- When it's done well, retro isn't biting; it's a novel and economical use of widely available ingredients.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.