In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you need to lower the pH significantly, especially for plants such as rhododendrons, you can use aluminum sulfate.
- With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.
- These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.
- There are clubs devoted to every plant group imaginable, from cacti to clematis, roses to rhododendrons.
- There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.
- Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.
- At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.
- The rhododendron's dark leaves cup the offering of early flowers.
- Pine needles tend to increase the acidity of the soil so they work best around acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons and blueberries.
- The first stretch was done under the shade of huge oak trees with an occasional rhododendron tree bursting into life with blood red flowers or a snake flower aping the hood of a cobra peeping out from the trunk of a tree.
- The air was clear and clean and songbird-sized mosquitoes fluttered around in the decorative heights of gladioli, rhododendrons and tulips.
- Lab tests suggest that a lethal disease of oak trees in California and Oregon could strike some popular garden shrubs in the rhododendron family.
- Cherry trees in full bloom blend beautifully with the lower growing rhododendrons and provide them with shade.
- In July I found mountain anemones, blue and gold asters, rhododendrons and blue gentians.
- He was an expert grower of alpines, rhododendrons and azaleas, and spent his last afternoon working in his garden.
- Tracey Gough added to the beauty of the gardens by having a lily pond built and having rhododendrons and azaleas and many more exotic trees planted in the gardens.
- ‘It's ideal for plants that are acid lovers, such as rhododendron, azaleas and heathers, and it's also weed-free,’ he said.
- This is one of the reasons that camellias do well on a north-facing wall and rhododendrons flower best in a woodland setting.
- Creating the vista of color and depth are the perennials - daylilies and zinnias and rhododendrons.
- Can anyone advise me as to whether or not rhododendrons will grow/thrive under eucalypts?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.