In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The exchange rate gives some indication of this: there are about 9,000 rials to the US dollar.
- Please also do not close my accounts numbered above with you, but retain a sum of 1,000 Saudi riyals in each account.
- Some other ‘royal’ currencies are the real, the rial (Iran, Oman, Yemen), and the riyal - all stemming from Latin regalis.
- Despite having been awarded 180m rials each (don't get too excited, that's about £10,000) for making it to Germany, home for the Iran squad will be the modest family-run Ringhotel Krone in Friedrichshafen.
- The ambassador is alleged to have deposited international drafts in Saudi Arabian riyals in amounts of between $2 million and $4 million, according to reports in the Washington Post.
- A Tamimi manager says the company pays an average salary of one Saudi riyal a day and grants leave once every two years.
- The article states, ‘The cost of King Fahd's efforts in this field has been astronomical, amounting to many billions of Saudi riyals.’
- People say we get paid in rials, the Iranian currency, but face expenses in dollars, which are worth much more.
- A large cache of ammunition, 250,000 riyals in cash and a check for 20 million Saudi riyals were all found in the terrorists' lair after the three-day standoff came to an end, indicating how well - armed and financed they were.
- Mehdi Karoubi, a mid-ranking cleric and political moderate, has promised that if elected he will start paying everyone over the age of 18 the sum of 500000 rials every month - no questions asked.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.