In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Catchy, jangly guitar riffs are slung about violently.
- Yet in this way, we immediately understand the initial discordant keyboard riff.
- Why the silence, the sirens, the jazz riffs, the drumming?
- Characterised by its undulating electronic bass riff it's one of the strongest tracks of the line-up.
- The band's condensed rock riffs also sound stale.
- Effortless hooks and fantastical storytelling gave way to chugging riffs and darker lyrics.
- Listen carefully and you can hear even more familiar riffs.
- People naturally respond to the diminutive sax man's keening sound, funky rhythms and bluesy riffs.
- Before long we get a nice piano riff and lots of ambient weirdness joining it.
- He manufactures catchy guitar riffs with ease, and blends them with off-beat lyrics.
- Layering multiple streams of electronically generated sound, he interspersed sparse and sometimes repetitive keyboard riffs into the mix.
- Longingly romantic " Live Line " is backed by a simple folk blues riff.
- "Used to Think " takes its impetus from the guitars, utilising a stuttering riff reminiscent of the Who.
- The ad needs a shot of adrenaline, a killer riff.
- They played the opening riff for a while, until Rocky tried a solo.
- After these first wan gags, subsequent riffs on the same themes fail to amuse.
- Sick of hearing the same tired riffs and canned beats on the radio?
- Barely a track begins without an ominous drum roll, or a chugging monster riff.
- Johnson said he had come up with the rollicking piano riffs and trademark rhythm backing Berry's lyrics.
- You hear the opening riff to a song.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.