In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(electrical supply)red de abastecimiento eléctrico femenino
- He said the new machine would bring significant advantages to people living close to the ring main which circles the city.
- Consumers will benefit from the new gas ring main linking Galway and Limerick to the grid while the Government has decided to extend the gas network to the north west.
- Backbones and ring mains are laid around cities as other infrastructure is buried.
- Contractors are working round the ring mains, which vaguely follows the Bradford Ring Road, in an anti-clockwise direction.
2(system of pipes)red de tuberías femenino
- Work on the Channel Tunnel itself, on the ring main for London's water, and on the Jubilee Line extension, happened out of sight.
- The average cost of the road is expected to be in the region of £750,000 per km of the 3.9km road, with an additional £800,000 for a new river crossing and £350,000 foul water ring main (drainage).
- Mr Thompson added: ‘We'll be working on the ring main, a large diameter pipe which runs around the outskirts of the city and feeds the smaller pipes taking water to customers homes.’
- The Trust installed a ring main and new water tanks at a cost of £100,000.
- Once outside the new ring main 35 to 40 percent of treated water is lost in leakage.
- The workers are cleaning Bradford's ring mains water pipes at the rate of about 1km per week.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.