- The destruction wrought by sudden, violent, and uncontrollable flooding, however, was recognized as a recurrent problem for riverine communities, landowners, and businesses.
- The soils are mostly leached sands and are defined as generally poor in nutrients and relatively saline except for the clay riverine soils.
- This riverine port, 125 miles from the capital, accessible by paved road only in 1996, still has one of the best hospitals in Central Africa.
- During European colonization, Italians established plantations in the riverine area and settled many poor Italian families on the land to raise crops.
- The Egyptians, also a riverine people, did not develop clay but concentrated on plants, using a reed brush to paint their signs on papyrus stems that were pressed together to form sheets held in place by their own gum.