In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1loco del volante masculino coloquialloca del volante femenino coloquialhe cut right in in front of me, the road hog! — ¡se me metió delante el animal / la bestia! coloquial
- The insurance companies were slammed recently for treating all young drivers as road hogs.
- ‘One of the things about Alejandro is he's a road hog and when he gets into these cities he gets involved in the local scene in some cases,’ Baekeland says.
- They have a reputation for being unruly road hogs, but a new survey claims that white van men are actually among the safest drivers.
- Drivers from this area are generally careful and courteous, and it is inevitably weekend visitors who drive like road hogs, park inconsiderately and despoil the beauty spots they visit.
- Many of your drivers are inconsiderate road hogs.
- Lets not even get into differences in how we drive - we are ‘reckless, road hogs, always driving too close to the car in front, impatient etc.’
- Why are we the cautious drivers not protected from these road hogs who obviously do not care about the loss of limbs and lives - not theirs or ours?
- No worse specimen of the road hog has come under my notice than the well-to-do gentleman who drives a powerful car at high speeds on the present highways.
- Other motorists simply will not take the time to report the antics of either ‘boy racers’ or order road hogs.
- A third of the national motorway network - 700 miles - is being lost by road hogs taking over the middle lane.
- Why does it take a so-called crackdown to get the police out of their nice, warm cars to stop these road hogs?
- The scheme follows successful testing on a stretch of the M6 between junctions 18 and 19 in Cheshire, when road hogs who clog the middle lane were instructed by flashing signs to move aside.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.