In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1material rodante masculinomaterial móvil masculino
- Southern generals ordered rails torn up, bridges burned, and lacked the foresight to commandeer locomotives and rolling stock to other lines rather than destroying them.
- If you come expecting a round-house full of gleaming rolling stock you may be disappointed, because few locomotives or cars are on display.
- Train services were irregular and unsatisfactory, buildings and rolling stock fell into disrepair and tracks became hazardous because of poor maintenance.
- Her husband became enamoured of the old rolling stock.
- In the short run the only way to obtain the necessary locomotives and rolling stock was from abroad; thus a programme of imports was implemented.
- However, the railways were now the victim of ‘deferred maintenance’; the upkeep of track and buildings, and the replacement of old rolling stock, were all neglected.
- Anyone with an interest in animal-drawn rolling stock should have a copy of this book.
- In addition, the company claimed 185,391 for depreciation of rolling stock, machinery, etc.
- Fortunately, for those who care to and with the time to spare, there are still tracks enough, rolling stock and steel wheels to travel back in time and see the world as our forefathers saw it.
- Thsrc invited international bids for the project involving the provision of rolling stock and installation of traffic signal and communication systems for the 340-kilometer line.
- They also had four hospital trains in service adapted from existing rolling stock.
- Increased traffic meant that rolling stock and equipment wore out faster.
- A study of the trade and technical press for the period 1918 to 1923 suggests that he was far from confident initially about the possibility of adapting existing rolling stock and he though at first that an entirely new fleet would be needed.
- The company supplies bus and train services and owns a rolling stock business.
- Milk will travel many miles-which can be done quite easily with proper rolling stock.
- Ninety per cent of the merchant navy had to be handed over, along with 10 per cent of the cattle and a substantial proportion of the rolling stock of the state railway.
- Locomotive sheds and coaling facilities might cover many acres, and many companies developed manufacturing works capable of turning out locomotives and rolling stock.
- It had to increase and renew rolling stock, plant and premises, since the large increases in goods traffic from the end of 1914 and in passenger traffic from 1915 had revealed their unsuitability and poor condition.
- The workshop in which they maintain the present rolling stock and restore old locomotives was moved.
- This it did, and in a short time the western railways had accumulated masses of rolling stock which they were unwilling to relinquish but unable to utilize efficiently.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.