In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mampara ornamentada que separa el coro de la nave
- Not just any old rood screen - but probably the best rood screen in all of England.
- His architectural work included not only the buildings but also the decorative elements within and without, with an emphasis on tiling, fireplaces, furniture and the rood screen.
- He explains, moreover, the underlying meaning of chancel, altar, liturgy, rood and rood screen - their crucial role in separating parishioners from the stage and drama of the Mass.
- Today the building has interesting features including stained glass windows, a carved rood screen, a pipe organ, a choir vestry and a beautifully carved pulpit.
- Then there was William Dowsing, the official iconoclast who went around East Anglia ordering the destruction of rood screens and stained-glass windows.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.