In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lombriz intestinal femeninohe's got roundworm — tiene lombrices (intestinales)
- Transmission of roundworm, whipworm and hookworm requires a warm wet environment to ensure survival of eggs or larvae in soil that is contaminated with human faeces.
- Before the Ontario Ministry of Health decided that raw fish must be frozen before it can be served, no one was worried about parasitic roundworms.
- Cat roundworms are known to cause visceral larval migrans in children, although less so than their canine counterpart.
- Canine heartworm is a serious and potentially fatal parasitic condition, transmitted by mosquitoes, in which roundworms develop in the heart and major blood vessels of dogs.
- Lab tests indicate huge quantities of garlic may fight roundworm, the most common intestinal parasite.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.