- Gumbo - half soup and half stew - is based on a roux and innumerable combinations of fish, meat and vegetables.
- Whisk the milk and cream mixture into the roux and cook for four minutes, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
- While all of this was going on, he showed me how to make a roux.
- This rich and creamy mussel soup is lighter than the original, with neither egg yolks nor a flour-and-butter roux to thicken it.
- His recipe has you make a roux of five tablespoons each flour and butter, to which you add one and one-half cups stock.