In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For the energetic, pedal boats, rowing boats, canoes and rafts, will be available for hire throughout the weekend.
- University students in a rowing boat were put in danger, and houseboats were set rocking so violently that one damaged its moorings.
- The exploration party consisted of ten men, and their means of transport was four small rowing boats.
- In a yacht you can turn into a storm and beat away, but you can't do that in a rowing boat!
- The rowing boat is honeycombed with storage lockers under its strengthened decks.
- Deckchairs and rowing boats were stowed away, seafront cafés battened down and all the amusements boarded up.
- On both lakes you can rent rowing boats and Canadian canoes, and spend the day on the water, fishing.
- Gale force winds and strong tides sank a rowing boat on the Thames on Sunday.
- A trio of traditional Venetian rowing boats will make their way down the Thames to Richmond on Monday afternoon.
- On the River Thames near London, 11 rowers had to be rescued after their rowing boats were swamped by huge waves and nearly sank.
- The house owner has fishing rights and the right to use a rowing boat.
- The rowing boats will be available during every day of the Easter holidays from noon to 6pm and later if the weather permits.
- On the shores of the lake, rowing boats and steamers offer visitors to Bowness the chance to escape from the summertime crowds and allow spectacular panoramas of the distant fells.
- I would appeal to all jet skiers to give sailboats, sailboards, rowing boats and swimmers a wide berth.
- My great grandfather hired out rowing boats at Bowness Bay and Lakeside.
- The lifeboat was an open rowing boat manned by local volunteers clad in oilskins.
- These days the ferry is just a rowing boat which takes roughly seven people at a time.
- There's also a chance of getting out on to the water if you'd like to, with rowing boats for hire and a cross-lake ferry service that visits the shore near Lodore Wood and Fawe Park on the west shore.
- Lifeboats - most of them rowing boats - came from 40 miles around and pulled many of the nurses and crew from the disintegrating wreck, performing incredible deeds of bravery in the pitch-dark.
- Built of English oak and Cornish elm, they are traditionally designed and locally built rowing boats originally used to deliver pilots to incoming merchant ships.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.