In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(monarchic)realthe royal assent — la sanción real
- the royal we — el plural mayestático
- The dramatic scenery has also attracted famous visitors over the years, including composer Edvard Grieg and members of Norway's royal family.
- There wasn't a stiffness or an awkwardness, which there can be sometimes with other members of the royal family because you're so aware of protocol.
- In addition to all this, they've had several members of the royal family, government officials and business leaders visiting from Thailand.
- Altogether, 36 members of the royal family attended, including the princes William and Harry.
- Boromo Trailokanat resolved the question of succession by ranking every member of the royal family in relation to the reigning monarch.
- The royal couple greeted villagers after attending a church service this morning.
- The fraud was discovered after two diamonds sold for $15 million to members of the Saudi royal family.
- Factions formed around the heir to the throne and other members of the royal family as well as in the entourage of ministers.
- The Queen is not the only member of the royal family to have personal flags.
- State honors, generally reserved for members of the Nepalese royal family, were given to Babu Chhiri, who established at least two climbing records.
- The play is about Anastasia Romanov, a member of the Russian royal family, after the fall of the Russian monarchy in 1918.
- Legal experts said the couple could not marry in a civil ceremony in England because the 1836 Marriage Act bars members of the royal family from doing so.
- Some 25 British Royals, as well as members of foreign royal families, were in attendance.
- Prince Fahd was the third member of the Saudi royal family to die in just over a week.
- After the service, blessing and reception the royal couple have spent this week on honeymoon on the Balmoral estate in Scotland.
- He was the first member of the royal family to visit Siberia, where his encounter with the lives of convicts and exiles led to a certain improvement in their lot after he became tsar.
- It is hoped a visit by a member of the royal family will take place on June 18.
- The members of the royal family who are in line to the throne cannot take the chances that our children and grandchildren would take.
- As well as the Queen Mother, the queen and her husband Prince Philip, most other members of the royal family are due to attend the funeral.
- Only recently, he has been busy working on a large order for a member of the royal family, although a confidentiality clause prevents him from naming the client.
- The people of Tory Island and their King were treated to a royal welcome in Monasterevin last weekend.
- When we arrived at the club we got somewhat of a royal welcome and were ushered inside to a table set for six.
- His visit had been a big media event in the Gulf too and he was accorded a royal welcome at the Dubai airport.
- This weekend bonanza got off to a flying start when the guests were welcomed in the royal traditional style, garlanded and saluted by elephants.
- Certainly there was a royal quality to the servings - I struggled to finish them.
- There is more to Rajasthan than just its royal splendour or amazing camel rides through never-ending sand dunes.
- He ensured there were Tudor roses on the gowns of the staff and on the Tudor coloured counterpanes of the beds; the roof and stained glass windows were also of royal quality.
- Fans, teachers and fellow students gave him a royal welcome as he returned for the start of the final year of his sports diploma at the college.
- The wanderer received a royal welcome in Santa Barbara from his mother-in-law and such brothers- and sisters-in-law as were about.
3EEUU coloquial(as intensifier) soberano coloquialhe was given a royal kicking — le dieron una soberana pateadura coloquial
- Now to some that might sound like a right royal waste of money, but when you stop to think about how much said chair will be used the cost is much easier to justify.
- He may crave the role of honest voice in the wilderness, but what really pushes North's buttons is giving his old allies in the green movement a right royal kicking.
- Now even the Queen herself has seen fit to give the London media a right royal ticking off.
- They prepared a right royal welcome for her at Manchester - but she surprised them by arriving back in Rochdale unannounced to get the champagne corks popping.
- Last Tuesday her dedication and hard work received a right royal accolade.
- Not a great thing for a journalist hoping for a right royal row to report.
- It was Richard's way of celebrating a right royal event - a half century of trading.
- A right royal rumpus has erupted over York's Golden Jubilee Rugby League Festival after a team from Oxford tried once again to muscle in on the event.
- This accident, sickness and unemployment cover is a right royal rip-off, as this article reveals!
- Until I discovered the website, my finances were in a right royal mess, and being in the red was something that happened almost every month.
- The princess wants to run away, much to the King and Queen's concern, and only our hero can prevent a right royal row.
- Staff and residents at an Ilkley nursing home are preparing a right royal welcome for a special visitor to the town.
- For me, this was such an exciting story and a subject that's really never gotten the real royal cinematic treatment.
- 2003 will go down in stock-market history as a right royal roller coaster of a year!
- A right royal welcome was extended to war veteran Reg Samways when he returned to Norway 63 years after playing his part in the rescue of King Haakon.
1miembro de la familia real masculino
- At the Abbey, members of the Royal Family, foreign royals, members of the Bowes Lyon family and other blood relatives move in procession to their seats.
- Numerous monarchs and other royals are buried there as well.
- Like most royals, Ranjit Singh is a connoisseur of the arts.
- Mums are queuing up to get their hands on a classically designed pram favoured by royals and celebrities.
- Some 35 members of the Royal Family and 25 foreign royals were there to pay a personal tribute.
- There will be a grand banquet Friday that is expected to be attended by thousands of royals and leaders from all over the world.
- Church officials were anxious to point out that the Anglican leader entertains royals, visiting heads of state, top politicians and secular and religious leaders from home and abroad.
- One of the last great houses to be built in Cheshire is Henbury Hall, commissioned by Sebastian de Ferranti, the retired industrialist and friend of Prince Charles and other royals.
- Political leaders saddened by Princess Margaret's death have paid tribute to the popular royal.
- It is traditionally a winter retreat for royals such as Prince Michael of Kent and King Juan Carlos of Spain, but it is fast becoming a playground for nouveau riche Russians.
- The princess is the third royal to visit Saskatchewan in the last three years.
- At 11.10 am Royal Family members, foreign royals and members of the Queen Mother's family will be seated.
- Among the guests who will attend the blessing, along with the senior British royals, foreign royals, dignitaries and a handful of politicians, will be a host of friends and celebrities.
- He made a name for himself painting dogs and was commissioned to paint for various royals including King Edward VII and King George VI.
- We don't live in a Renaissance city-state, or a monarchy where the royals and the aristocrats order up lots of art, portraits, and public buildings, and are patrons of writers.
- We also took a turn around some of the state rooms, sat on one of the royal sofas, and viewed vast collections of porcelain and pictures of Queen Victoria and her family and long-dead royals whose names we didn't recognise.
- At least seven prime ministers including Italy's Silvio Berlusconi are also expected to attend as are royals Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and Britain's Prince Edward, among others.
- Although the late Queen Mother remains her favourite royal, she has met Prince Charles numerous times.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.