In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(gem)rubí masculinobefore noun ruby wedding (anniversary) — bodas de rubí femenino
- The rings will be offered in yellow or white gold, with an optional diamond or ruby.
- Jewellery studded with rubies and emeralds are also on display.
- Some of their pieces are made of plain white gold, while others are embellished with diamonds, sapphires, rubies or pearls.
- And don't miss Ratnapura, where you can not only buy sapphires, rubies, moonstones, aquamarines and the rest, but you can also see where they are mined.
- I have rubies and sapphires and diamonds and jade.
- Gemstones such as diamonds, opals, sapphires, and rubies are produced in Brazil.
- The hardest stones, such as diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires, are normally cut and polished and mounted as jewellery.
- Gemstones such as diamonds, emeralds, rubies and sapphires are rarely drilled to make beads as this detracts from their worth.
- The museum has a Saudi sculpture of a falcon on a perch, of inestimable value and stunning vulgarity, made from gold, quartz, rubies, emeralds, sapphires and 1,210 diamonds.
- Diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and pearls were everywhere.
- Her collection is not much but it includes mica, aquamarine, tourmaline, rubies and rose quartz.
- The expo is showcasing some of the exquisite creations in gold, platinum and silver jewellery that are studded with gems, sapphire, diamonds, rubies and pearls.
- Similar is the attraction of other gem stones like emeralds and rubies, which have started gaining more prominence these days.
- Thailand is internationally recognised for mining and cutting gemstones, especially sapphires and rubies.
- Henry VIII was fond of wearing a velvet, gold-embroidered purple doublet encrusted with diamonds, rubies and pearls.
- No wafer thin bangles, and modestly diminutive chains here - the jewellery is unabashedly elaborate, studded with brilliant uncut rubies, diamonds and emeralds.
- Pearls, diamonds, emeralds and rubies have remained important.
- Uncut diamonds, rubies, bangles and small necklaces are on display here.
- Sri Lanka has been known for centuries for its gemstones; jewelry making and the cutting of sapphires, rubies, and semiprecious stones continue to this day
- Cascades of earls, rubies, sapphires, diamonds and tortoiseshell hatpins, 76 items in all, poured out.
2also ruby redrojo rubí masculino(lips) (before noun) de rubí literario
- More ruby red than pink, the wine is made entirely from Merlot grapes.
- From personal experience, ruby slippers never work.
- The town, which is home to the charity's regional office, donned scarlet, cherry, vermilion and ruby yesterday to help raise funds as part of Heart Week 2003.
- Some like their wine light and fruity, others like it ruby red and peppery.
- White and yellow flowers among the darker ruby reds and burnt oranges, often soften the overall effect and leads the eye through the flower bed.
- It was a beige color, with spots of sapphire and ruby along it.
- On its chest is an explosion of scarlet, an unforgettable hue deeper than coral but brighter than ruby.
- After tasting their wine, a smooth, dark ruby Bordeaux blend with a rich berry flavor, I'm convinced they're well on their way.
- It is a brilliant dark ruby wine filled with the aromas of spices and dark ripe fruits like boysenberries and plums.
- My mum bought me my very own pair of ruby slippers when I was 12 and she used to plait my hair just like Dorothy!
- Susan likes to cook, so the kitchen is a focal point in the house, with a warm colour scheme of Burmese ruby combined with honey cream to offset the minimalism.
- The recipe is incredibly easy, and the result is this beautiful ruby jelly, with a deep wine flavor and a surprising tanginess that tickles the palate.
- Her skin was almost as pale as the mountain snow, and her black hair hung in lustrous waves down her back, framing her beautiful face and bringing out her blue eyes and ruby lips.
- It comes in ruby red and it'll blow the partygoers away.
- This ruby beer displayed a velvet hue, and an aroma of dark chocolate and roasted coffee.
- I put on black eyeliner, mascara, red eye shadow with black tints towards the edges of my eyes, and ruby colored lipstick.
- Embrace ruby hues and add flaming highlights to any hairstyle you select.
- The glass was broad and relatively shallow, without the curvature inherent in the wine glasses I knew; the liquid inside it was red, almost ruby in the wavering light.
- Sophie's hair was also very deep in colour, like raw chestnuts - a warm, ruby brown too dark to be considered truly red or ginger.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.