In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was unable to row the boat and couldn't steer the vessel having lost his rudder on day one of the voyage.
- The ship has rudders and bowthrusters for harbour manoeuvring.
- Later, I heard that one torpedo had hit the rudder and put its steering out of action.
- It also emerged at the meeting that there were problems with the steering and the rudder.
- Under the stern, the rudders and propellers keep the hull clear of the bottom.
- These were clinker-built - that is, with timbers overlapping and not laid flush - with flat bottom, straight stem and stern posts, a stern rudder and a single sail.
- Stern horizontal rudders levelled off the submarine underwater.
- The sailboat has a fin keel and a rudder that resemble the dorsal and pectoral fins of orcas.
- The ship has two controllable pitch propellers and two rudders with rudder roll stabilisation.
- Rotating the pod or drive unit provides directional control, eliminating the need for rudders to redirect the flow of water from the prop.
- The Nubian boat captain piloted the rudder with his foot.
- Helicopter rescue teams braved strong winds and waves yesterday to save 16 sailors from a ship that lost its rudder and was pitching wildly at sea as a powerful typhoon swept toward China.
- The tiny trimtab turns the rudder, and the little rudder turns the giant ship.
- It was no cabin cruiser, but with the rudder salvaged from the Minnow, and a mast and sail added, the boat should be navigable.
- The ship has two shafts with controllable pitch propellers, two rudders and a pair of active stabilising fins.
- The vessel is fitted with two pairs of active stabilising fins and twin rudders and has bow and stern thrusters.
- The vessel was 70 percent complete but was without engines, rudders, or armament.
- The stricken yacht had significant flooding to her port demi-hull, the port engine was damaged, the starboard rudder was gone and there was damage to the port rudder.
- Volunteer boatbuilder Henry Thuys tests if the new rudder of the Batavia long boat is responding smoothly.
- I slammed the rudder and the boat peeled hard to starboard.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.