In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(leader) gobernante femenino(sovereign) soberano masculino(sovereign) soberana femenino
- Kings were expected to be rulers, law givers, judges, leaders of the war band and protector of the Church and people.
- King in this Middle Eastern context meant a ruler who would deal despotically with them, a governor quite different from the constitutional rulers of Europe.
- I have hardly ever agreed with what Jeremy has written, but I do think that it's wonderful that we live in a free society where we can openly criticise our leaders and rulers.
- Many Rajput kings retained a status as rulers of princely states under the British.
- The rulers of the Chakri dynasty, who succeeded the kings of Ayyuthaya, assumed the throne name of Rama, a practice that continues to this day.
- In February workers overthrew the dictatorial ruler, the Tsar.
- Hence the exercise of the ruler's authority could be decisive in determining the outcome of local rivalries.
- Kings and rulers are not simply those who are chosen but those who know how to rule.
- He was the supreme ruler, the king, the emperor and his authority was absolute.
- The original statue of Infant Jesus was sent there as a wedding present to the local ruler by the King of Spain in the 17th Century.
- She advised kings & rulers and worked for reconciliation among peoples.
- Her father Nawab Hamidullah Khan was the ruler of second most important Muslim princely state after Hyderabad.
- Prior to the modern period, states were justified by reference to their rulers, their dynasties, and their religion.
- The last king of this dynasty was a ruler named Sher Daulat.
- In 1952, Gaj Singh was crowned as the 38th ruler of the Rathore dynasty founded in the 13th Century.
- They have instead exchanged their colonial rulers or puppet kings for corrupt local bourgeois cliques.
- Once feudal lords, the Malay rulers now perform a largely ceremonial role.
- Soon there will be another chance for citizens to choose a ruler and the present leader is using all at his disposal to win power again.
- The traditional Malay rulers and the King were disempowered, when some scandals offered a political opportunity to do so.
- Luanda on the Angola coast was a Portuguese town from which they tried to exercise control over African rulers inland.
- The length of each tendon was measured with a millimeter ruler.
- Clear plastic rulers and quilting templates can be a headache to store.
- Obviously, the aim should be to cut at regular intervals but don't start getting your ruler out.
- To be certain, take a ruler and measure from the bottom crease of each finger to the tip.
- These are exact shapes that look like they were made with a ruler or precise drawing instrument.
- I then showed them how to use a white pencil to trace circles of various sizes and straight lines with rulers.
- After tamping a few square feet, use a yardstick or a ruler to measure the tamped depth.
- Using the metal ruler as a straight edge cut 10 1-inch right triangles with the craft knife.
- This enabled the school to give every poor pupil two pencils, a ruler, two pens, a rubber and two exercise books.
- Most practitioners are aware of and use traditional methods, such as tracings and rulers, to evaluate wound surface area.
- The size of the lesion must be measured with a ruler at presentation and on subsequent visits to allow an accurate assessment of size over time.
- Lay a ruler straight across the front and back pattern pieces.
- As she lined up the ruler on the map, he looked over her shoulder and shrugged.
- The size of swelling and redness were measured with a plastic ruler, while the child's reaction to movement of the limb or to touch of the site was graded with a standard scale.
- She would take out a ruler and measure exactly what I asked for, make a cut and show me what she had cut.
- She had a giant plastic ruler she would smack on the desk to quiet people in situations like that.
- In a full analysis, Christina uses a ruler and protractor to measure the letters and angles.
- The bundle of case papers I was sent at the start of this case was so large it could be measured with a ruler.
- Take a ruler and measure off these distances at the top of the drapes with a straight pin.
- Draw a line with a pencil and a ruler, and the computer registers it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.