In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He pressed a button, and the runes changed into English letters.
- If you convince yourself that you will get some deeper insight into a situation by interpreting the situation in terms of a set of abstract symbols like the runes, you will probably get that insight.
- The original manuscript has the equivalent letters embedded as runes.
- They also plan to erect a standing stone in New York City's Central Park, carved with Viking runes in honour of Eriksson's 1000th anniversary.
- This is a written language which looks similar to runes and other ancient scripts, however academics have been struggling for many years to correctly decipher it.
- As with relics or ancient runes, it's all about touching, reading, pondering, examining.
- There were several different versions of some of the runes, and individual runes might be carved back-to-front or upside down.
- They walked into a huge building, a temple riddled with runes and hieroglyphs.
- ‘They seem to be in the same language as the runes on the Lasershot, but older,’ he said.
- There were some ancient stones with runes carved into them in a place in Denmark called Jelling, they were pretty cool.
- The smooth stone walls of the place were covered in runes and Glyphs.
- Some of the unusual runes on the Kensington Rune Stone turn out to belong to the secret tradesmen's version of the alphabet.
- Both bear diplomatic plates and a licence which purports to be in the language of Old Britain, derived from Finnish, Estonian, ancient runes and a lot of ethno-linguistic study.
- They had no written language beyond a crude system of notations which were even more limited than the runes of Earth's ancient barbarians.
- The Nazi's made good use of the runes and Germanic icons because they were Germanic and thus nationalizing, and because they just looked cool.
- Oddly enough, I memorized the Anglo-Saxon rune alphabet in high school with a friend of mine so we could pass notes in geometry class.
- Covering the hilt were runes of some lost language, and in the centre was an impressive green gemstone.
- He was a jeweler of sorts but as a hobby he spiffed around in ancient runes and languages.
- The runes also show a path of progression from the Elder Futhark, to the Anglo-Saxon runes with some influence from Ogham, to English.
- There are several threads on the runes and Futhark here, if you want to know more.
- Every stone of the edifice was marked with a rune, coursing with magical strength.
- Around its edges strange runes were carved into it, giving it a unique, magical air.
- Nearly all the stones were cut in perfect spheres each with a rune that marked the element that they represented.
- Many New Agers seem to like Tolkein, so the fact that his Hobbits used a kind of runes in their writing may have enhanced the association of runic letters with magic and mystery.
- The runes and designs on their bodies moved in the firelight.
- They took bottles of differing colors of dyes and began to paint his body in the patterns of runes and symbols as ancient as Eire itself.
- Strange runes that glowed with fire were carved upon the stone pinnacles.
- The walls were covered with writing and occasional symbols which I understood to be runes.
- Queer runes and letterings were scratched across the wallpaper, which was tarnished and weathered with age.
- His brother had spent nearly all day and night trying to carve a simple rune into the face of a small amethyst.
- The sword was impressively worked with runes and magic carvings, most of which glowed slightly in various colors.
- Carefully consulting the book, he scrawled various glyphs and runes at certain points in the design.
- Unlike Belloc's old staff, the new staves were ornately carved with runes and ancient arcane symbols.
- "I can decipher these runes, " she said, leaning on the rock.
- Ancient and intricate runes were carved all over it, and the statues of the Goddess Aurora lining the walls all seemed to be gazing at it in appreciation.
- Four pillars stood in the four corners and in the center was a stone altar adorned with strange runes.
- They hadn't been walking for very long when the mage stopped at a plain, metal door with a rune carved heavily in its surface.
- It's a large stone tablet, covered in runes and markings.
- In fact he wore a complete set of finely made golden samurai armor, and in his gauntleted hands he carried a pair of long wooden swords, each one with ancient runes scrawled up their sides.
- He pulled several down and discovered that the pages were stamped with bizarre runes of what must have been the written form of the Martian language.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.