In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Most of the men included in these teams and groups spoke Russian and other languages of the Soviet Union and were dressed up as Red Army men and officers.
- The official language is Belarusian, but Russian is also widely spoken.
- It handles the above languages plus Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- The official language is Estonian, with Russian also widely spoken.
- Although not technically alien, the Russian Tsars and pomeshchiki were so aloof from their subjects that they spoke French rather than Russian and lived in a Western rather than Slavonic culture.
- But the Cold War was still going on, and obtaining Russian and Chinese speaking translators was given priority.
- She speaks Kazakh, Russian, English and Italian.
- Although the Kyrgyz language is spoken in the home, most Kyrgyz also speak Russian, which is the language of business and commerce.
- French, Spanish, German, Russian, and other languages all exerted more influence over the subsequent centuries.
- He speaks Russian as his native language.
- Though she counts Chinese and Russian among the languages she speaks fluently, Fritzie has never played piano in either of those countries.
- She couldn't speak Russian, though she knew the alphabet and could read names.
- The stopping times and places are in the carriage and despite Russian's Cyrillic script, it's easy to guess where you are and how long you'll stop there.
- Like Russian, it is written in the Cyrillic alphabet.
- World class sites were developed in English, Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Urdu.
- For example, my two new Georgian friends told me they had not uttered a word of Russian, the principal language of their schooldays, for a decade or more.
- She also speaks German and Russian, and as a Czech speaker understands Slovak.
- Savenko has a fine presence, but in these opening acts he seemed somewhat inhibited, perhaps because of having to sing the role in English rather then his native Russian.
- He speaks Russian, French, Czech and Bulgarian.
- We have even given out literature written in Russian, with information about the hotel and the bar tariff.
2(person)ruso masculinorusa femenino
- The Finns had been told the precise terms the Russians wanted on February 23rd.
- For most Russians the nation's favourite holiday outshadowed political concerns.
- The film looks at the pain of Easter Europe in the new millennium with humor and humanity, bringing a Lapp woman, a Russian and a Finn together to try to make sense of it all.
- They told us that the Russians would never accept National Missile Defense.
- Mustard gas was first used by the Germans against the Russians at Riga in September 1917.
- He married a French citizen, who was a Russian by descent, and was given permission to go off and live in Paris, which he did while still representing the Soviet Union at chess.
- We cannot, however, expect that there will be any yield given to the French, Germans and Russians.
- Scots and Russians are very similar in terms of how open and friendly they are.
- Areas captured by the Germans during the day, were re-taken by the Russians at night.
- With a Finn, a Russian, two Canadians, and an American, this year's Hall, of Fame class exemplifies the game's global reach.
- All Europeans, including Russians, enjoy the same values and the conflict has ceased to exist.
- Moscow asked for international help and the British crew rescued the Russians on August 7.
- It was not so easy for the Russians in Chechnya after the invasion of the Russian army.
- It was Russians who first built up a caviar industry on Iranian shores.
- However, Napoleon's invasion led the Russians to make peace with the Turks.
- It relied on what the French or Russians did and the actions of one would provoke a German response and not the other way round.
- Though not a native Russian, he was on the staff of the Imperial Theatres in St Petersburg and played in a court chamber ensemble.
- He is not partisan and dealt equally with the callousness of the Chechen fighters and that of the Russians.
- This year's team features a Swede, a German, a Russian, a Czech, and two Canadians.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.