In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pobre desgraciado masculino coloquial
- I may be a saddo living in the past, but as my father, an archaeologist, always said, the future is unknown, the present is a mere split second, we really only have the past to look at.
- He's definitely a saddo, prone to self-pity and playing drippy ballads on his guitar.
- The last thing I want is to spend my new year reading interviews with these limelight-seeking saddos.
- When the usually grey-haired bad-boy actor Billy Bob Thornton took his bad dye job for a night out in LA, he was labelled a saddo because a man with obviously coloured hair is regarded with suspicion and amusement.
- A more useless, empty-headed crowd of saddos I've seldom if ever met.
- It is punctuated with ‘is it’ and ‘innit’, uses ‘te’ for ‘to’ and ‘him’ for ‘he’ and a whole bunch of street slang words that older, non-street saddos like me have to work out by way of context.
- Never mind the content of their remarks, even fellow Conservatives saw them as saddos in extra-thick anoraks.
- Which other saddos are watching the live coverage?
- Pity the poor person who wanted to take a ride through their neighbourhood - some smelly no-friends saddos had got there first.
- There is a whole industry catering for old saddos who get the shakes if they don't have their daily fix of a sherbet dib-dab.
- Yeah, it's so easy to mock something just because you think other people will and you want to get in first in case someone thinks you're a saddo.
- Either I'm the biggest saddo ever to stalk the shops, or I'm the evolutionary peak of bargain hunting perfection.
- Imagine our surprise when we come back - having been forced to make do with filled croissants, salads and scones - to find two of said worthy saddos sitting in our seats.
- Maybe the saddos that keep coming here searching for ‘Jessica Lynch + Playboy’ should read this.
- I wholly congratulate these girls for finding a way to get lots of free stuff from online saddos without revealing any personal information.
- So could there be any possible link between being a saddo and/or programming computers (which, let's admit it, are not too far apart) and believing in God?
- They'd all think I was a saddo trainspotter, which is not the image I want to convey.
- It seems more likely that such saddos need help rather than jail sentences.
- Now, to those people who thought that there was something to gossip about, and also the saddos who insist on communicating via the search function - GET A GRIP!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.