In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But he said it appeared the court proceedings had had a salutary effect on her and he was prepared to make an exception to the rule that breach of trust offences required a prison sentence.
- These missives have the salutary effect of not only making the author more careful but also of different points of view from one's own.
- He had been remanded in custody for a short period of time and that had had a salutary effect upon him.
- The generous New Hope program had a particularly salutary academic effect on boys, the team found.
- The second step was to show that improving function of the muscles of ambulation has a salutary effect on exercise tolerance.
- The unpleasantness of this schism seems to have had a salutary effect on Tennent, who was more responsible for it than anyone else.
- A rise in joblessness could cancel out the strong euro's salutary effect on consumer spending.
- It does not tell us, as many advocates have argued, that we could raise the minimum wage to $10 with salutary effect on poverty.
- But I couldn't imagine any of these bad dream poems having a salutary effect on the peace gathering.
- There are occasions when the petitioner's mother interjects into the discussions between the parties, which has no salutary effect.
- The resulting convictions should serve as a salutary reminder to those who hold public office that they are bound by a duty of trust which they breach at their peril.
- As a salutary side effect, reform may also be society's greatest protection against politically motivated violence.
- Vandell has an explanation for why these kinds of activities - such as art and music programs - have such salutary effects on kids.
- Kind words have just the opposite effect: They are salutary and healing because they offer encouragement and hope to others.
- Disappointing as her father's edict was to her, it did have the salutary effect of keeping little Mary out of harm's way.
- Although such measures enabled Cavour to outmanoeuvre the clerical right in the short run, their long-term effects were less salutary.
- The trial is bound to be a show - but a show that is much more likely to have salutary effects, on balance.
- There is no physiological system in the body which doesn't get the salutary effect of sound and soothing sleep.
- All these had a very salutary effect on their physical afflictions and to a considerable extent served as their psychological treatment.
- These salutary effects of ezetimibe on statin levels presumably enhance the beneficial effects attributed to statin pleiotropy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.