In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- No big ‘art opening’ is complete without a bottle of wine ‘breathing’ gently in the corner and petit slices of elegant cheese perched atop silver salvers.
- Annette-Gabriele Purshouse, 18, was presented with the silver salver for the WI Diamond Jubilee Award last Wednesday at the group's annual meeting at the Wiltshire Music Centre.
- Included in the collection is a large engraved William IV silver oval tray and a pair of William IV sterling silver salvers, both dated 1831 and hallmarked 1833.
- She proudly displays a silver salver from the Council's gardening competition last year.
- We were waited on hand and foot, served from silver salvers with tasty canapés and our glasses were never empty,’ said Mr Clarkson.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.