In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mismomismathey live at the same address — viven en la misma dirección
- don't make the same mistake again — no vuelvas a cometer el mismo error
- the two boxes are exactly the same — las dos cajas son exactamente iguales
- you men are all the same — todos los hombres son iguales
- she's not the same person — ya no es la misma
- this place won't be the same without you — esto no va a ser lo mismo sin ti
- these shoes will never be the same again — estos zapatos ya no volverán a ser lo que eran
- it's always the same — siempre pasa lo mismo
- the same as sth
- we're in the same position as before/as you — estamos igual que antes/en tu misma situación
- how are things? — same as ever/as usual — ¿qué tal te va? — como siempre/como de costumbre
- the village is much the same as it was 50 years ago — el pueblo está prácticamente como estaba hace 50 años
- his last book is much the same — su último libro es por el estilo
- that dress is the same as mine — ese vestido es igual al mío
- the same woman as / that I spoke to yesterday — la misma mujer con quien hablé ayer
- (the) same old faces/people — las mismas caras/los mismos de siempre
- I'm fed up with doing the same old thing every day — estoy harto de hacer siempre lo mismo
- she always comes out with the same excuses — siempre sale con las mismas excusas
- is he the same one you were telling me about? — ¿es el mismo de quien me hablabas?
- the same thing happened to me — a mí me pasó lo mismo
- same time, same place — a la misma hora en el mismo sitio
- I feel the same way about you — siento lo mismo por ti
- I'm glad you see things the same way (as) I do — me alegro de que veas las cosas como yo
- on that very same day — ese mismísimo día
- Different shops gave entirely different recommendations for the same person.
- What he did say was that the website said the same thing in different words, and that the difference was only subtle.
- It tells the stories of three families of different culture in the same borough of London and is an exuberant read.
- HP additionally made it possible to run processors of different speeds in the same server.
- These are both the same drug, under different names, used to control angina.
- Although the language used is different, the same grievances are being aired.
- Christian crusaders and missionaries had the same aim under a different banner.
- Her clothes, the same ones I saw her wearing last, a white t-shirt and combat trousers.
- It can't be co-incidence that we're guided to the same place by different people!
- Different parts of the same plant, such as the flowers or seeds, can have very different actions.
- Cells from the same species and of the same type can glycosylate differently.
- So she put her hair up in the same ponytail as last night and casually put on any clothes.
- Research shows that even experienced educators differ when assessing the same event.
- How can we all be so different with almost the same physical features and emotional needs?
- The colour-coded chart in his office tells the same story in a different way.
- In a small universe, light from the same source would arrive in the same place from different directions.
- It's funny how different people remember the same event in different ways.
- Sets of books would be used by different teachers to teach the same subject in different classes.
- For such a small place you would expect the price of the same item in different stores to be almost identical.
- Is this a different ship or the same ship that is believed to have sunk off Kochi?
1the same — lo mismo
- thanks, I'll do the same for you sometime — gracias, algún día haré lo mismo por ti
- I wish I could say the same — ¡ojalá pudiera decir lo mismo!
- are you Arthur Biggs? — the (very) same — ¿es usted Arthur Biggs?— ¡el mismo que viste y calza!
- I'll have the same — para mí lo mismo
- the same goes for you — también va por ti
- I found the hotels were excellent — yes, we found the same — los hoteles nos parecieron excelentes — sí, a nosotros también
- The general conditions regarding eligibility will be the same as in previous years.
- May not, this man reasons, these same happy levers of government be employed in showbusiness?
- The present format of the draw will remain the same as will the two euro play.
- The same applies to the controls, with too many identical small switches in a row.
- Similarly suppliers of frames and needles became established in the same geographical areas.
- The same was true with the deer population in areas where wolves were eradicated.
- There was only the one herd restricted, which is the same as in the previous year.
- Irrespective of the size of the company the employment issues are still the same, he said.
- I came from the exact same educational system as all of you, and it was quite inadequate.
- The basic problem with this government is the same as with all previous Labour administrations.
- The very same neighbour recalls seeing a wheelie bin out for collection on occasions.
- The third photograph is of another young woman possibly the same as in the previous one.
- The same is true for all of the other British civil servants who are now running Montserrat.
- The basal hydroponic solution used was the same as that described previously.
- The same is true of the West's response, which has been all about creating an image of purposefulness.
- It is broadly the same as the previous one, but rises to five storeys in places to accommodate bigger flats.
- The growth conditions of winter genotypes were the same as described previously.
- The rate of price rises since January actually exceeds the rate for same period last year.
- In other matters of form, the opening scenes were very much the same as in previous years.
2Comerciomismomismawith reference to your order and delivery of same — con relación a su pedido y a la entrega del mismo
- to dismantling clutch and repairing same — por desmontar el embrague y repararlo
- The same Mr. Samaranch recently made a statement: "I am sure that the Olympic Games in Beijing will be the best in Olympic history".
- The same woman waited until the delicately poised last chords of Mahler's slow movement to get up and leave.
- All age groups are welcome to participate and sponsorship of same would be very welcome.
- It turns out that the head of same is a prominent member of the Australian Kurdish community.
1the same — igual
- they're written differently but pronounced the same — se escriben distinto, pero se pronuncian igual
- how do you feel? — about the same — ¿qué tal estás? — más o menos igual
- I still feel the same about her — sigo sintiendo lo mismo por ella
- I treat all my students exactly the same — trato exactamente igual a todos mis alumnos
- I felt scared, (the) same as everybody else — estaba asustada, como todos los demás
- He broke down the tape, same as usual. He went through the goods and the bads, same as usual. He saw plenty of things that went wrong in Monday's Game 5, starting with losing the puck twice on the first shift, and ending with 40-plus shots that didn't get to the net.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.