In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arena femeninosand-colored — color arena
- The action of the play takes place in a remote ramshackle beach house built on sand dunes.
- The main attraction of Wollogorang Station is the 80 km of yellow sand beaches and river estuaries
- A part of him refused to entertain the notion that when he reached its edge, he would be confronted by miles of unrelenting desert sand.
- Should you prefer to keep your head above water, the beaches, with their fine golden sand and tall palms, won't disappoint.
- With no collection system, mountains of empty plastic bottles pile up in sand dunes behind its white sand beaches.
- Fort Lauderdale Beach Promenade along Atlantic Boulevard provides scenic and easy access to miles of golden sand beaches.
- I look out at two miles of white sand beach, lapped by water with a visibility of 200 feet.
- A perfect view of the ocean stretched out before her, the waves rolling slowly towards the rock and sand of the beach.
- It was beautiful, with golden sand and green vegetation further along the beach.
- About two kilometers around the lake, the sand beach turned into rocks and there was a huge cliff over top.
- On the beach we placed our towels on the golden sand.
- The work could be viewed both from boats cruising the bay and from a deserted beach lined with sand dunes.
- The land was mostly flat and featureless; even the most desolate of the southern deserts had some rolling sand dunes and some cacti.
- Lanzarote is a volcanic island, which accounts for the dark sand on some beaches.
- The beach, which I'd always pictured as miles of golden sand, is actually a short stretch of pebbles.
- As loose as dry sand, such crystals often constitute the critical weak layer of a slab avalanche.
- There has been speculation the maverick Republicans use the isolated sand dunes along Ballyhornan beach to test fire guns and explosives.
- The Umbra came to rest in the center of a small ring of rocks, its landing struts sinking into the fine desert sand.
- This half-day guided tour will bring them right onto the golden sand dunes of Arabia in four-wheel drives.
- There is another irony about desert sand dunes: They are a product of both aridity and water.
2(expanse of sand)arena femeninothe burning sands of the desert — las ardientes arenas del desierto
- to build on sand — hacer castillos de arena
- Exactly one month later, the Duke of Edinburgh officially opened the £1 million terminal and flew the Swift across the Goodwin Sands himself.
1(make smooth)(wood/furniture) lijar(floor) pulir
- If the rust refuses to budge, use a #800 sand paper to sand the metal and repaint.
- Attach plywood with panel adhesive and brads and sand it flush with front edge.
- Aluminum siding, however, has a baked enamel finish so it can be sanded or scuffed up, then primed with a special etching primer developed just for this purpose.
- Corion can be sanded lightly using number 800 sandpaper.
- Lightly sand the entire board smooth, but be careful not to remove too much finish from surrounding boards.
- Joints and spackled areas should be thoroughly cured and sanded smooth.
- The gesso ground is sanded smooth so that acrylic glazes bead up and acquire a high-resolution look while emphasizing the picture plane.
- Sand blasting would leave marks and sand in the wood, which would have to be sanded out and filled in to obtain a smooth final finish.
- Lacquer, shellac, varnish stay on top of the wood; if worn off in traffic areas, usually the whole floor has to be sanded and refinished.
- The bookcase and shelves were sealed with a primer, then sanded smooth with medium-grade sandpaper.
- Once it's completely dry, it can be sanded, drilled or cut with normal woodworking tools.
- Start with 80-grit paper until the dent or scratch is sanded out, then finish-sand and feather into the surrounding area with 120-grit paper.
- The surfaces are built from slender pieces of 3/4-inch-thick plywood laminated together, then sanded smooth.
- Once it begins to wear out it is no longer sanding, but polishing, which will close the grain again.
- Cover the patch with compound, allow it to dry, and sand it smooth after drying.
- Once the worst pitting and damage is filed away, he sands the metal with a coarse sandpaper.
- Once I had it smooth I used some 220 grit Wet and Dry and sanded the edges smooth under running water.
- After peeling the bark, the knots where the branches were need to be sanded to a very smooth finish.
- Some log furniture is sanded smooth, some are skipped peeled, some have the bark on and some are completely peeled.
- Taking rough-grit sandpaper, sand the remaining membrane out of the gourd.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.