In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1espantapájaros masculino(person) espantajo masculino coloquial
- There is a voyeuristic car crash quality in Baker's deterioration from being the ‘James Dean of Jazz’ to the junkie scarecrow of his latter years.
- He stood about a foot taller than AJ, and was just now out of the ‘tall and lanky’ stage, his shoulders and chest were finally beginning to fill out the formerly scarecrow frame.
- It turns out Emeraldas is already there, silently having a drink, and everyone is struck with awe when she pulls back her cloak and they see her scarecrow thin scarred self.
- Sofia now resembled something of a scarecrow, the hems of her dress were muddy and torn, her hat half on half off, and big smudges of coal streaked her cheek.
- ‘Scott had written the character as a walking scarecrow,’ he says at the Film Festival.
- The slightly upbeat, boyish, scarecrow image also appeals, effortlessly like the sort of icon from yesteryear so beloved by today's rock musicians.
- He was extremely tall, but he couldn't have weighed more than a hundred pounds beneath all the dirt, a shambling scarecrow of drooping skin and rags.
- This will not prevent their ‘discovery’ after the event, but few any longer attach much importance to this tattered scarecrow.
- Out of the bustle appeared a painfully thin little six, or seven-year-old scarecrow, arms no thicker than sticks.
- Maury doffed his fedora and ran a hand through his scarecrow hair and told me that he had lived in terror as a boy because his father was a drunk.
- The scarecrow man approached my shiny glass prison, and attempted to speak.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.