In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escocésScottish National Party — Partido Nacionalista Escocés masculino
- Scottish nationalism — nacionalismo escocés
- the Scottish Parliament — el Parlamento Escocés
- They will try to convince the consumer that it is as Scottish as heather and rainy summers.
- She was a patron of many Scottish charities to which she wholeheartedly gave her support.
- The Conservatives have won a majority of seats and votes in a Scottish general election.
- We are both Scottish and we both do figurative paintings set in a seedy underworld.
- The three Scottish guests were on their feet, shouting and cheering with the best of them.
- One expects New York critics not to care a hoot about Scottish books but they do.
- If Edinburgh make it out alive then it will rank as one of the great achievements in Scottish rugby.
- It is surely undeniable that the hairy comedian is, in fact, as Scottish as you can be.
- Every history of Scotland is an essay on Scottish identity, and this one is no different.
- He denies that he will use his new role to get Scottish dancing onto the national curriculum.
- Greenhorn is not the first writer to focus on the softer side of Scottish life.
- In a Scottish election year it is incumbent upon all political parties to take a view on this issue.
- The first thing is to build up a new team and I need to build up the youth and get quality in Scottish football.
- The Scottish executive said it was confident it would meet its recruitment target.
- We need to look at how the foreign corporate community can make best use out of Scottish brain power.
- He says he's become tired of Scottish newspapers sniping at each other in the media pages.
- If they wish to do a showcase of Scottish theatre then they should fund it each year and fund it properly.
- It helps that most of us are Scottish and everyone is desperate to win for themselves and for the team.
- There has been fishing in Scottish waters as long as there has been coastal habitation.
- She said a lot of work was now being done to enhance and raise the levels of R&D among Scottish firms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.